Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Am I right in saying we cannot legally turbo the VF?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Insurance companies can say they underwrite any modifications they want. And still refuse to claim based on the fact the vehicle doesnt meet ADR, Emissions or comply with Roadworthy standards. It's that part that says the vehicle must be in "roadworthy condition" and that onus is on the driver, owner or the person who pays a third party to willingly perform a modification away from the condition in which the vehicle was designed, tested and certified under Australian law.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Insurance companies can say they underwrite any modifications they want. And still refuse to claim based on the fact the vehicle doesnt meet ADR, Emissions or comply with Roadworthy standards. It's that part that says the vehicle must be in "roadworthy condition" and that onus is on the driver, owner or the person who pays a third party to willingly perform a modification away from the condition in which the vehicle was designed, tested and certified under Australian law.
How is a car that doesn't pass emissions going to be denied an insurance claim? If you write the car off how are they going to prove it fails emissions? Or if its stolen same deal. Im no expert but common sense tells me emissions isn't going to contibute to an accident.. or am i missing the point?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Whilst reading through the last few pages it got me thinking about these package deal modifications.
Take the below scenario for example:
When purchasing your new VF the salesperson promotes the Walkinshaw Upgrade Packages as an add on & after the sales pitch you decide to get the W407 package fitted through the dealership....So they organise to get the work done before you take delivery of your new vehicle
So 2 months later a cop defects you because he says that your car "Has obviously been modified"
Who is now responsible for bringing the vehicle back to roadworthy condition....If your states Roadworthy Authority will not lift the defect ?
Should it be:
# The Owner...….....They purchased the upgrade at the time of sale
# The Dealership....They promoted and sold you the upgrade package through their dealership at the time of purchase of your new car
# Walkinshaw...…...They performed the work which has now deemed your vehicle to be unroadworthy

# Not trying to stoke the fire, just interested to hear peoples thoughts should this scenario ever occur.
# I haven't actually read any small print/disclaimer about any of Walkinshaw's products or services as I have never dealt with them

Last edited:

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
so...looks like another mod plate.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
How is a car that doesn't pass emissions going to be denied an insurance claim? If you write the car off how are they going to prove it fails emissions? Or if its stolen same deal. Im no expert but common sense tells me emissions isn't going to contibute to an accident.. or am i missing the point?

To quote the PDS from my insurer (RAC) -

"Use of your car
We will not cover any loss, damage or liability which occurs during, or is caused by, the use of your car:
While it is overloaded, not roadworthy, not registered or not meeting relevant government transport regulations.
"

And don't forget, insurers of all types and flavours are renowned for avoiding claims wherever and whenever they can.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If that’s your shot across the bow, sure...

Unlike many, I’m willing to actually put money where my mouth is, rather than guessing. I will put it on gas analysis and find out.

I know the science, and I know the tabling was created with analysis...so most of the table is close to AFR. Where it is not, it’s probably close enough that the Catalytic converter will do its job.

We’ll see. Less talk, more action.

Good luck with that.
The closer the AFR's are to stoich, CO and CO2 will decrease, but oxides of nitrogen will increase exponentially.
That will kill your emissions compliance.
The factory 304kw tune runs slightly rich for this reason.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In the normal course of handling a claim, I doubt the insurance claims clerk would look into vehicle mods in a meaningful way, maybe just ask a question and accept your answer. After all, that claim process is focused in gathering detail to determine who is at fault. Obvious mods may be noticed by the assessor and reported back to the claims clerk but subtlety may work in your favour, maybe.

However, crash into a $550,000 super car and the claim is moved up the organisation into more senior handlers or their management where their focus shifts markedly from determining who is at fault to ways to minimise their costs. All clauses are examined. In such cases you will more likely loose your insurance cover and with that potentially your house (as the other parties insurance looks to recover from you if you’re the at fault party - if you’re not at fault it can still be a difficult road to navigate).

Also, if someone is killed in an accident, the police will investigate and they will look at all issues related to vehicle road worthy status and what contributed to the crash. The police report may result in a statement that the vehicle was not roadworthy due to bald large tyres (for example) but that this did not contribute to the crash (due to not being wet, no debris on road, etc). Your insurer will get such a report and how they choose to handle the claim is up to them. The clause is available for the taking but if you are charged by the police, it’s much more likely to be invoked with a sad outcome. In any case, if someone died, you may not need your house as the government may look after your accomodations for some years :eek:

Me, i’d want to make sure that everything is above board with my vehicles use so that there are no conditions that would put my cover at risk... no illegal mods and no alcohol or drugs in my system. Guess I’m conservative by nature but others may be happier to sail closer to the wind :p

And when it comes to legal verses illegal mods, each state has its own rules so it may get rather interesting once you cross the border and are involved in a crash o_O

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
might need more tuning now.

Last edited: