Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amazon, Alibaba, eBay and Etsy may block Australian users if GST changes go ahead

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11843234

Australian consumers could potentially be blocked from buying goods from overseas on eBay, Amazon, Alibaba and Etsy if the government pushes ahead with its controversial online GST changes.

Under new laws slated to come into effect from July 1, overseas businesses with an annual turnover of $75,000 or more will be required to register with the ATO to collect GST on all goods sold, including purchases under the current low-value threshold of AU$1000 (NZ$).

Giving evidence before a Senate economics committee in Melbourne on Friday, representatives for eBay, Alibaba and Etsy hit out at the government's vendor collection model, which would place the burden of tax collection on the platforms.

Quizzed by senators, company representatives agreed when it was put to them that Australian consumers could be geo-blocked if the bill went through in its current form.

"Quite honestly we're left with a number of unfavourable options, and [denying access] is our absolute worst-case scenario," said Etsy public policy spokeswoman Angela Steen.

"Blocking stay-at-home mums from being able to achieve a sale is frankly devastating for us and our business model."

Economists have compared the legislation to taxing a telephone company for a deal arranged between a buyer and seller over the phone. eBay earlier this week described the changes as "unworkable" and warned it may block Australian users.

'WE'D HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE'

James Hudson, director government relations at Alibaba, said the "preliminary" assessment of the bill by the Chinese e-commerce giant was that it "may not be able to be applied to Ali Express". "If that's the case we would have no choice but to geoblock Australian users from using the platform," he said.

He added that platforms like Alibaba were unable to navigate the range of GST exemptions, such as for educational materials, and floated a possible compliance levy on Australian importers.

Jooman Park, managing director and vice president for eBay Australia and New Zealand, said even if the time frame were extended, the online retailer would likely not comply. "It is a huge, global business risk," he said.

"Even if we were given [more time], we are not sure we will end up making the decision to create this tax collection capability. We run an $80 billion business based on one global platform. Your requirement is almost the same as just developing a separate Australian site.

"It will cost a lot to invest, and second, under the bill we are subject to the financial risk - if our sellers refuse to pay GST, we are liable for that. We don't understand why have to take that financial risk."

Quite honestly we're left with a number of unfavourable options, and [denying access] is our absolute worst-case scenario.
Angela Steen, Etsy public policy spokeswoman
Park added that eBay was concerned about the global impact on its business. "If we start to collect tax here in Australia, we have to assume other countries or governments will start to ask eBay to collect GST or VAT," he said. "So it does not just affect our import business in Australia, we have to assume it will impact all of our cross-border trading."

Amazon is yet to confirm whether it would geoblock Australian shoppers.

Kevin Willis, the retail giant's director of global trade services, said in his decades of experience with cross-border trade tax policy development, there "has never been a tax of this magnitude".

"The vastness and complexity, the number of players we're talking about, which grows daily as cross-border commerce takes hold, it's difficult to quantify what the implementation costs are, as well as any impact on revenue," he said.

"From our perspective that's going to be dictated by the behaviour of the consumers, so there's a big challenge how we go about this. Timing - I don't see timing as a solution. It really doesn't fix the fundamental flaws in the collection model."

Willis said retailers would typically be given several years to prepare for changes of this scale.

"A lot of this is going to have to do with the infrastructure that's going to need to be built and continually updated and refreshed to make sure we are linking the appropriate parties," he said. "In a marketplace we don't touch those goods, they're not moving through the Amazon logistics system, so we have to work out where they originate from."

Online retailers were only informed of the vendor collection model when the draft bill was released late last year, and didn't see the detail until the bill was introduced into parliament in February.

'WE ARE DEEPLY CONCERNED'
Kristen Foster, director of government relations at eBay, described the government's handling of the issue as "one of the least open consultations we've seen in recent years".

"eBay has lodged a number of letters to government, we lodged submissions to Treasury in December last year, those were not published on the Treasury website which was a concern to us," she said.

"If anything what they did with those submissions was [go] even further down the path of trying to classify marketplaces who do not physically hold the goods as a seller. Certainly if you compare it to the Netflix tax, they were given a very lengthy time to determine how the bill would affect them. We're being asked to comply by July 1. It's near impossible."

Erin Turner, director of campaigns at Choice, said the consumer group was "deeply concerned" about the bill. "We're not opposed to the government collecting GST on low-value goods," she said.

eBay has lodged a number of letters to government, we lodged submissions to Treasury in December last year, those were not published on the Treasury website which was a concern to us.
Kristen Foster, director of government relations at eBay
"However any system to collect this tax must raise more revenue than it has in collection costs, and two, it should not lead to unnecessary restrictions on Australian consumers accessing goods, either from companies withdrawing services or companies being blocked [by the government].

"We believe it will lead to high collection costs and restrictions on goods Australian consumers can purchase from overseas. Competition isn't an end in itself - it's meant to be a mechanism by which we deliver benefits to consumers."

Turner also warned against the alternative collection model favoured by Amazon and other online retailers, which would push responsibility for collecting GST onto the logistics companies.

"In the UK, there is an £8 collection fee. So you need to go to the post office to pay the VAT, and pay the fee to pay the VAT, which leads to absurd additional costs," she said.

BREACH OF BEST PRACTICE
Modelling by accounting firm KPMG estimates a likely compliance rate with the tax of just 27 per cent. eBay revealed that Treasury and Australian Taxation Office officials cited a 25-30 per cent compliance rate in private meetings.

Earlier appearing before the committee, a Treasury spokesman admitted there had been no Regulatory Impact Statement prepared - in breach of Office of Best Practice guidelines - and US and Chinese governments would not assist in enforcement.

Quizzed on enforcement, the Treasury spokesman was vague, saying the ATO would contact retailers to register for GST - citing an example of calling a London handbag retailer. The ATO's expected admin cost will be $13.8 million.

Opposition finance spokesman Andrew Leigh said while Labor supported applying the GST equally to imports in principle, "Scott Morrison needs to show that his preferred model is workable and enforceable".

"The Senate inquiry was called for a specific reason - a wide range of stakeholders have concerns about Scott Morrison's ability to implement this measure without it having unintended consequences for consumers and small businesses," Leigh said.

"Once upon a time, Scott Morrison used to be referred to as a Prime Minister in waiting.

These days, it's clear that he's still got the L-plates on. Today we heard that no Regulatory Impact Statement was conducted, which Treasury admits is a breach of Office of Best Practice guidelines."

Treasurer Scott Morrison said in a statement that the proposed legislation was "designed to close out loopholes that multinationals and big business are using to avoid paying Australian tax".

"It creates a fairer tax system for Australians and supports Australian small businesses by creating a level playing field against foreign competitors," Morrison said. "These changes ensure Australian businesses, particularly small retailers, do not continue to be unfairly disadvantaged by the current GST exemption that applies to imports of low value goods."

He said the Government would continue to negotiate over the details of the new laws, but "will not step back from ensuring our tax base is fit for purpose in the new digital economy."

- news.com.au

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Could you not just use a vpn to complete your purchases anyway?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Delivery address might just give it away?

But what ever the case maybe it doesn't look good.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
wonder how you are going pay the gst when you buy from overseas business directly not going through ebay or amazon, aust post have said they will not collect it.. i can see this on there websites ..... we shipped worldwide but not to australia

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Customs does it here in NZ for parcels that come via the post but if you ship via major carriers like DHL then they collect anything owing on behalf of the government. Anything over NZ$400 gets charged an inspection levy and then GST is applied (because they have now provided a service in NZ to be able to apply the GST).

I can't see the likes of ebay and amazon complying so aussie may very well get black listed after July.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
wonder how you are going pay the gst when you buy from overseas business directly not going through ebay or amazon, aust post have said they will not collect it.. i can see this on there websites ..... we shipped worldwide but not to australia

Yep, and this will be open slather for Australian retailers to add even more "Australia tax" on top.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Have to get one of those mail forwarding mobs to send it in.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Correct me if I am wrong as I'm not real cluey when it comes to this sort of thing :
# The government currently charges the aussie consumer GST on purchases from overseas that exceed $1000 in value.
# Now they actually want to start taxing sellers from overseas turning over more than $75,000 annually that sell to Australian consumers as well.
To me this just seems like another greedy grab on behalf of the Australian government or they don't want aussies shopping online/overseas.
# As someone mentioned already, what is going to stop people ordering direct from a sellers website & who is going to stop a seller from overseas sending items to Australia.
# Who if anyone will police what is allowed to be shipped in the delivery of "parcels" into Australia anyway?

I know people on other forums say that they can get around the import GST loophole by having family or friends ship their parts to Australia and marking the parcels as presents. Whether this can still be done I don't honestly know.
I know of at least 1 family friend who currently gets their in-laws in the states to ship expensive machine parts to Australia for them.
My missus has a lot of family in the states, who is going to be able to stop me purchasing parts via these family members that would exceed $1000 or the total ban on overseas shopping (if it happens) and then having these family members send these parts to me in Australia with the parcel marked as presents.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct me if I am wrong as I'm not real cluey when it comes to this sort of thing :
# The government currently charges the aussie consumer GST on purchases from overseas that exceed $1000 in value.
# Now they actually want to start taxing sellers from overseas turning over more than $75,000 annually that sell to Australian consumers as well.
To me this just seems like another greedy grab on behalf of the Australian government or they don't want aussies shopping online/overseas.
# As someone mentioned already, what is going to stop people ordering direct from a sellers website & who is going to stop a seller from overseas sending items to Australia.
# Who if anyone will police what is allowed to be shipped in the delivery of "parcels" into Australia anyway?

I know people on other forums say that they can get around the import GST loophole by having family or friends ship their parts to Australia and marking the parcels as presents. Whether this can still be done I don't honestly know.
I know of at least 1 family friend who currently gets their in-laws in the states to ship expensive machine parts to Australia for them.
My missus has a lot of family in the states, who is going to be able to stop me purchasing parts via these family members that would exceed $1000 or the total ban on overseas shopping (if it happens) and then having these family members send these parts to me in Australia with the parcel marked as presents.

I think that would be considered mail forwarding, see below.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11843371
Imposing GST on low-value imports doesn't level the playing field

The Australian government wants to extend GST to imported online goods under A$1000, effective from 1 July 2017, with Treasurer Scott Morrison stating it will "establish a level playing field for our domestic retailers". But the proposed legislation doesn't do this.

Rather, it unfairly imposes GST on goods purchased from overseas sellers, that wouldn't be subject to GST if purchased from an Australian seller.
count.gif

The government also hasn't cleared up how the collection will be adequately enforced. Without appropriate enforcement, collecting more revenue from this tax seems unlikely.

Currently, low-value imports (those with a customs value of A$1,000 or less) are exempt from GST. If the legislation is passed, overseas vendors who sell more than A$75,000 of low-value goods to Australian consumers would be required to register for GST, and collect and remit GST on low-value goods to the ATO.

Those imports will continue to be stopped at the border with any GST, customs duty, and associated fees paid to Australian Border Force by the importer before the goods are released.

For sellers of low-value goods it will mean that an overseas supplier of both low and high value goods will be subject to two separate tax regimes. The requirement to collect GST will apply only to low-value goods.

Online marketplaces and mail forwarding services

The new law will also apply to online marketplaces such as eBay and "redeliverers" - businesses that forward goods to Australia from overseas companies. For goods purchased through an online marketplace, the marketplace rather than the seller will be treated as the supplier.

Similarly, if low-value goods are delivered to Australia by a redeliverer, they will be considered to be the supplier for GST purposes.

While extending the GST to these goods is meant to level the playing field between overseas and Australian vendors, treating the online marketplace or mail forwarder as the supplier of goods is inconsistent with the treatment of domestic transactions.

As eBay has stated in their submission to the Senate Committee: "eBay is not a seller. eBay is a third-party online marketplace that simply connects buyers and sellers".

For Australian vendors who sell items on eBay, it's the individual seller who is responsible for collecting and remitting GST on products they sell (if they are required to be registered). A seller who uses eBay, but isn't carrying on an enterprise or does not meet the A$75,000 turnover threshold, isn't required to be registered and would not be required to collect GST on their sales.

However, the proposed legislation does not treat overseas vendors in this way, by treating online marketplaces and mail forwarding services as the supplier of goods. The Treasurer stated that:

Including online marketplaces ensures that only a limited number of entities need to collect the GST, rather than the multitude of small, individual vendors making supplies through these online marketplaces that compete with Australian retailers here in Australia.

With all due respect to Scott Morrison, he seems to have missed the point that small, individual vendors should not (if their turnover of low-value goods into Australia is less than A$75,000) be required to collect GST merely because they use an online marketplace.

EBay has gone as far as stating in their submission that: "Regrettably, the Government's legislation may force eBay to prevent Australians from buying from foreign sellers". This is because they would not be able to comply with the requirements imposed under the new legislation.

Compliance concerns

Despite the legislation being intended to come into effect on 1 July of this year, it is still unclear how the new system will be adequately enforced.

At the moment, information displayed on international mail declarations doesn't indicate whether the overseas supplier is registered (or required to be registered) for GST. It also doesn't say whether GST has been collected, and whether it is being correctly remitted to the ATO. Even if this information was readily available, it's not clear how the ATO would deal with non-compliant entities.

If it was determined that GST had not been charged and collected by the overseas supplier of the low-value goods, there is nothing in the proposed legislation that would allow the GST to be collected from the importer (instead of the supplier) when the goods enter Australia. However, attempting to enforce an Australian tax debt against a non-compliant overseas vendor would be a complex, costly, and likely fruitless endeavour.

Consumer advocate group Choice has expressed concern that the government would use powers under the Telecommunications Act to block the websites of non-compliant entities. However, Scott Morrison has indicated that the government has no intention of using this power.

Concerns regarding enforcement have been echoed in a number of submissions, including the Taxation Institute of Australia and Amazon. Both highlight the fact that lack of enforcement may simply encourage Australian consumers to purchase goods from non-compliant overseas entities that are not charging GST.

By treating online marketplaces and mail forwarding services as the supplier of goods, the proposed legislation does not treat overseas vendors in the same way as domestic vendors. The tax will only be effective if the system for collecting GST on imports can be adequately enforced. Without appropriate enforcement, high levels of compliance seems unlikely. A lack of compliance will continue to leave Australian retailers at a disadvantage, with only minimal increase in GST revenue.

This article was originally published on The Conversation. Read the original article.

Kathrin Bain, Lecturer, School of Taxation & Business Law, UNSW.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
If aussies are geo-blocked by overseas/online sellers, it will be kind of like the Trade Embargo that was passed between the States and Cuba.
Except we may be embargoed from the rest of the world.