Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ambient Temperature Sensor Location

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The top of the dash sensor is the "Sun Sensor" and when there is cloud cover or you go into a car park the climate control slows fan speed. Sun comes out and it back to full blast if you have it set to auto @ 18c.

Ambient temp sensor is on the front of the car for when you press the "amb" button for the outside temp.

Shane

That's precisely what happens. I am running around with it set at 18 degrees at present as Sydney and nearby is encountering very warm and humid weather at present. Have to pass through a covered car park when entering the shops and the fan speed varies as we enter and exit.

Learn something new every day...the VY Climate Control air seems to be a bit more complex and sophisticated than the VR was.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
The car is to new for the wreckers they only have vx and older :(

we have heaps of vy's vz's and i think some ve's up here on the coast, ring around some idiot shouldve wrapped on around a pole!!:thumbsup:

just solder the wires up seperately and f*** the plug off??

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
I have got a plug i found a Astra wrecker as it is the same plug and soldered it on and it works like a charm. ZEUSSY I have rang heaps of wreckers and no one has vy's or that dont want to sell the stuff

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just replaced the ambient sensor location picture with a better one.

M

mwb235

There is an "Ambient temperature sensor repair kit" available (part number 92144967) that replaces the plug that goes into the sensor. Holden revised/upgraded this plug in 2000 (i assume for the VTII update). Apparently water gets into the "early" plugs and causes it to short circuit and provide false temp readings (i.e. resistance values).

My VT's climate control is reading about 10 degrees too high, and i have ordered one of these kits and will fit it next week. I had already tried with a brand new sensor (about 50 bucks for f--k's sake!) and it still reads wrong. If replacing the plug doesn't help i'm gonna try another control unit (i.e. switch assy).

M

mwb235

I just realised this post is in the VY forum not VT/VX - so if my reply is useless to you VY folks, sorry.

Ok i've fitted the new sensor plug (part number 92144967 mentioned above) and it seems to work 100% now. Let's hope the f-kken thing stays that way this time!

Last edited by a moderator:

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
VY workshop manual i believe. It's not cheap nor available to the general public.

vikki2sharp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Please, can anyone confirm if following is the sensor, I am unable to rotate the image