Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Americans to pay $10,000 less for VF Commodore

gavpav

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SSV Redline W375
I think this really sucks. Not only do our American friends get the 6.2 litre engine, they get it for $10k cheaper after shipping to the USA. And our tax dollars have been used to keep the company afloat ??? I am all for looking after Aussie jobs and our car industry but LOOK AFTER THE AUSSIE TAXPAYER and CONSUMER'S FIRST!
We are mugs, this is getting ridiculous

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
^ ^ Agreed.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Few factors which i reckon the journalist didnt state on nor did Holden boss elaborate on things.

Its a Chev engine right?
So why ship the engine to australia then the car back to USA? Wouldnt it make sense to keep the engine in USA, ship the car shell and install it there using one of their production lines or something?
Maybe thats a costings factor, eg shipping, weight, reshipping, weight

Alot of parts as GM based right, so they be able to get things cheaper anyway.

Just a thought, too early in the mornign and have morning sickness from waking up in the morning. Is called Morningitis.

If there was a price breakdown and reasonable explanations, then I would be happy.
At the moment, just all speculative ( <--big word in the morning for me)

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
'straya c**t

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Doesn't surprise me. We pay more for everything from socks to microwave pizzas to cars. It's not because of the Australian dollar it's because we're all oblivious to what is happening and they can simply get away with it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
General motors is messed up no matter which way you look at it but that 10 k is probably how much tax we pay on it here in aus ?

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I know let's blame it on the AU dollar... Maybe Holden badges do cost $10,000 more than the chevrolet badges. Hmmmm. :hmmm:

Drive - VF Commodore to be $10000 Cheaper in US
Its called Tax. Production costs would be very similar to build each model. Its just everyones additional 'cut' and how much each economy can handle to swallow.
If you tried to sell a Chevy SS in the States for $57K, you wouldn't sell many (if any). Remember wages are far less than here in OZ (but on the other hand, cost of living is far less than here! Like electricity doesn't cost squat). I too would like our home grown Holden's to be cheaper but its wishful think'in...

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
IN the real world all the consumer's would boycott buying the VF, television shows would broadcast the great rip off. The ACCC would jump in a put holden out off business... BUT IN fairness we are such week barstards THAT we will take it up the Ar-E .. YOU will all jump up and down about the $$, but the weak australian will stop crying and buy their product.. IF we had any balls the vf would sit in holden's yard till they stopped ripping (taking the piss)out off us aussies.. THE stupid goverment would also step in and sort the issue's out... WE ALL KNOW THE YANKS THINK WE AUSSIES ARE STUPID, now we will prove by buying their overpriced product and smile..

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
has nobody thought of this reason.

how many will they sell in comparison to Aus?
they will probably still make just as big, if not a bigger profit from selling them there compared to here.
just look at all their cars and the prices.

they have a massive market in which to sell them.
we have a tiny market in which to sell them.

it might seem wrong but its just the way it is.
smaller profit margins per unit, but massive gains anyway.

just have a look at the price of all the rest of their cars and the prices.
no point putting it so much higher nobody would be buying it.

seriously. its not just cars either.
why do you think its sooo much cheaper to buy from the UK or the States?
they have a Huge market and by being competitive they can still make a huge profit because they will sell so many of the damn item.