Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Americans to pay $10,000 less for VF Commodore

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
IN all honesty we havent got no one too bitch too (goverment is america's arse puppet) SALES to usa not really a issue,,, their unions wont allow too many cars in, so it dosent destroy their lives.. THE issue is the $$$ we are being expected too pay extra TOO help out the ####ed american econommy...
We will bitch and moan , but at the end off the days us lazy australian buyers WILL reach for the K Y gell and take it like a buying bitch that we are,,,JUST take a look at the usa lemon laws, here we accept holdens excuses WE NEVER seen that before your the first too have that fault???

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Order a VF from the states, although the "NO Chev badges" on Commodores group will have a hernia :)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah re-import one from the USA and then bend over and pay the Imported car tax .........

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Yeah re-import one from the USA and then bend over and pay the Imported car tax .........

along with the whole shipping costs along with getting someone to convert it for you? :p
just int hat alone it wouldnt be worth it.

and not only that. im pretty sure Ari was saying that you cannot import a car that is built here for sale for x amount of time anyway or already imported for sale to an extent.
just sayin...
i may be wrong, but i asked him and he said i wouldnt be able to because it is available in aus and was still being made at the time.
cant remember which car it was, but it was insanely cheaper overseas and so forth and would have actually been worth it. but was told it wouldnt have been allowed

Last edited:

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
Order a VF from the states, although the "NO Chev badges" on Commodores group will have a hernia :)

cant actually do that for a year after the car has been released in America , because of a sort of patent gm cars coming into aus

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
The Australian price includes the 10% GST, the American price does not include any sales tax, which varies state to state. Once you factor that in the difference is a lot smaller. Plus i like the tax being displayed in the price, saves trying to work out what price you pay after it is applied.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
i thought this discussion would have been more vocal.. LOOKS like we aussies are going too take the ripping off us, and LOVE it....WHATS got me intreeged is my vz dosent suffer from crap timming chains, but the ve does??? AND i work for a auto part supplier too gmh, they want a cheap product, not a great one, so it looks like the vf is going too have more issues than the ve,

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
This isn't exactly ground breaking news. We pay very high taxes in this country and nearly everything sold has stupidly high markups. When my brother went to the states he came home with $200 pairs of shoes in our shops that he paid A$80 for over there

If you think they Americans are so lucky go and work there for minimum wage (if you can find a job) and see how long it takes to save for a VF SS

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The cost of production isn't the only thing that determines the selling price. Maybe:

The VF shares a platform with the Camaro. There's a lot of parts commonality, from suspension through drivetrain to switches and electronics. The cost of providing parts and service support will be cheaper than setting up the support from scratch. That the Commodore was already sold as the GTO and the cost of supporting that would have been written off when the Pontiac brand was killed will help for some of the unique parts like body structure.

Yes, a different tax system.

US production is a bonus over the (revised after GFC) planned for production. It may be better to make a smaller amount on the export cars - cost plus - while the engineering cost is still amortised as it would have been on the local (and other export) cars i.e. without the additional US cars. You might argue that both the local and US cars should be made cheaper with the increased production volume but it is likely that the US cars would not have happened at all with that extra cost included.

The smaller Australian market may mean a harder sell and increased advertising cost per car sold.

The cost of compliance with US regulations may be easier (but I think the anticipated volume is lower than local Commodore sales).