Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ammeter and Voltmeter (gauges) Install

korn3172

Chaps
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 2000 Olympic ED
Does anyone know how to install the ammeter?
I have heard that there is always a current in the car, so installing one can be dangerous. Thinks like it catching on fire, etc (BAD).

They said that i should install it onto my amps so i know how much they are draining, could someone give me a idea how to do that?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Disconnect your battery first, you should be right.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
sure u no this but an ammeter fills in a break you make in the circuit. If you instal it across the circuit it will cook a fuse and show no ohm readings

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yeah, install in series.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
question, do you know what an Ampere is? If not then why bother?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Installing ammeters is problematical and typically ends up in tears for the average DIY(burnt out wires/fires) with limited electrical knowledge. Depending how it is connected up, it may not give you readings that are sensible, especially with all the devices triggered by relays. They were simple enough on older cars where all the electrics came off the fuse panel that mades it way inside the car and the whole power supply was put through the ammeter gauge on the dash.
There are more sophisticated ways of doing it now, but the after market ammeter that you buy would still require it to be done like this.

You can establish how well your system is working from good resolution voltmeters. to 0.1V.

The one advantage of an ammeter is it can give you a very good idea of the exact state of charge of the battery and/or condition. If the battery has been flattened and on jump starting and subsequent driving of the vehicle where the ammeter shows it charging for a few hours then it is a sign that the battery is in good nic. If however, there is no charge happening immediately after the jump start, then it shows a battery that isnt accepting charge. This can be read on a voltmeter with a bit of reasoning, but there are other variables with alternator/regulator output that can cloud the issue.

On a modern car an ammeter would need to be able to show readings of +/- 100A, the instrument is going to be of no use in finding small leakage currents when the car is switched off etc.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I assumed he wanted to have one just to see how much current draw his amplifiers were using, not so much for monitoring charge state or in general for the car.

Presumably if you wired one on the power wire between the fuse in the engine bay and the amp it would work. Not sure where you'd get a 4GA ammeter though...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
stinger make plenty of fuse blocks that have built in volt and ammeters

korn3172

Chaps
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 2000 Olympic ED
Installing ammeters is problematical and typically ends up in tears for the average DIY(burnt out wires/fires) with limited electrical knowledge. Depending how it is connected up, it may not give you readings that are sensible, especially with all the devices triggered by relays. They were simple enough on older cars where all the electrics came off the fuse panel that mades it way inside the car and the whole power supply was put through the ammeter gauge on the dash.
There are more sophisticated ways of doing it now, but the after market ammeter that you buy would still require it to be done like this.

You can establish how well your system is working from good resolution voltmeters. to 0.1V.

The one advantage of an ammeter is it can give you a very good idea of the exact state of charge of the battery and/or condition. If the battery has been flattened and on jump starting and subsequent driving of the vehicle where the ammeter shows it charging for a few hours then it is a sign that the battery is in good nic. If however, there is no charge happening immediately after the jump start, then it shows a battery that isnt accepting charge. This can be read on a voltmeter with a bit of reasoning, but there are other variables with alternator/regulator output that can cloud the issue.

On a modern car an ammeter would need to be able to show readings of +/- 100A, the instrument is going to be of no use in finding small leakage currents when the car is switched off etc.

Yeah i got the +/- 100 ampmeter, and just want to read how much the amps are drawing, if its 100 then i know that i need to turn it down a bit cause the car would also be draining.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
it would only most likley hit 100a on bass notes, check the fuses on your amps arnt exceeding 100a or you run the high possiblility of blowing your gauge up,

as above said I have a stinger termination block with built in 250a meters per channel and volt meter, they are over the alternators 120a output quite often but not long enough to drain the battery flat .....

I only have the because it came with my huge install kits and I wouldnt bother with buying them on thier own as part of an install they really give me no valuable information for day to day running