Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp and sub cut out while driving

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Just today it seems that sometimes when I'm driving, for example when going over a speed bump, or any bump in general, my amp (which drives my front speakers) and my sub (self powered) will cut out, and I'll just be left with my rear speakers. My initial thought the first time it cut out was that one of the power wires may have come loose or that a fuse may have blown. My amp and sub have come back and cut out again, so its not any of the fuses. I've checked my power wiring at both ends, everything seems secure. Now I'm thinking it might be my remote wiring. Dumb question, I know - but when a head unit powers up an amp, does it keep delivering a constant signal over the remote wire to keep the amp powered up, or does it just send signals when powering on and off?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
What about earth wire? Did you remove the paint (bare metal)

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Your earth wire may have shagged it self man

Kinng

M

magnumv8

I would have a good look at the remote wire and it does send a constant 12v to power the amp , how have you run your remote on-it might be earthing out. Depending on how youve wired the remote wire another possibility is your speakers may be earthing out causing the cut out.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes, it's a constant signal.

How quickly does the sub come back on after the initial shock? If it's immediate then that suggests a fault in the output stage...typically speaker terminals or wires. If it takes a few seconds to come back on then you are waiting for the amp to power back up, in which case it's a power supply related issue. Check your ground is firmly secured to the body of the car, check your battery terminal is correctly secured... don't discount the fuse or the fuse hold completely either.... Check it... and if you have a spare fuse, throw it in. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a faulty one.

Please tell me, your amp is secured to the back of the sub box is it? If so... buy a new amp or find someone who repairs dry joints... REALLY CHEAP. lol

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your advice guys. A bit more information:

Munz: Yeah, I removed the paint where I grounded everything

Magnumv8: Remote wire runs from the back of the head unit to the passenger's side and down to the boot via the same channel that I ran the power wire. From there it goes to two wires, one running to the amp, one running to the sub.

Tasmaniak: It usually takes a couple of minutes before it comes back on. My sub is an active sub, an Infinity BassLink to be exact (secured to the boot). The amp (a Pioneer GM-D9500F) runs the front speakers, and is secured to the back seat. (Pioneer TS-D1720C's) The rear speakers (stock) run off the head unit. (Pioneer DEH-3350UB)

Anyway, thanks for your advice, you've given me a few things to think about, I'll have a look at it tomorrow afternoon.

M

magnumv8

Ok, do the sub and amp share a common earth and 12v constant power too?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
so it's somewhere between the distribution block and the battery.

or an earth if it's common.

if your concerned about your remote wire (I doubt it) your easiest solution is to disconnect it and bridge the amplifiers 12V constant and remote wire and then go for a drive and see if you can replicate the problem.... just don't forget to disconnect the remote wire again as the amps will remain ON and quickly flatten the battery.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
magnumv8: They're both grounded to the same point on the chassis, and they both share the same 12V feed - I have one 4 gauge power wire going from the engine bay to the boot, which goes into a fused power distribution block, where I then have 8 gauge wire going to the amp and sub.

Was going to have a look at it this afternoon but it was pitch black by the time I got home, probably end up having to leave it till the weekend. For the record on my way to work this morning I had neither the amp or sub, then suddenly when I was stopped at the lights they both just kicked in at the same time, worked perfectly for the entire trip back home this afternoon. Either way I'll pull it all apart this weekend and have a look. Thanks again guys.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
well that sounds like power related problems. For one, running 2 amps off 4 gauge wire isnt a good idea. it wouldnt be supplying enough power for both. how thick is your earth wire? and where did you earth it to?