Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp choice :)

Zaadstrade

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S2
Hey all,

I was just wondering what you reckon the best amp is for me? I have two kicker CVR 12" subs, 800 peak, 400 rms, both are 2 Ohm. From what I have researched I would need a 2000 watt monoblock capable of running one ohm clearly... Is there any particular amp you would suggest/have tried?
I've read that some amp manuafcturers say their amps run one ohm but they can't really?

Thanks in advance,
Demetrius

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Do some more research. 400wrms x 2 = 800wrms. Also the CVR are DVC subs so is each coil 2-ohm or is that 2-ohms when wired up?

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
i was looking for an amp to power 2 1000watt subs and people would always say stuff like you need an amp with this and that and this many rms and stuff and chances are if your asking about amps you dont know alot and if your anything like me you need examples of what amp to get, so heres a link to the amp ive got, it powers both my subs fine and isnt to over the top expensive Frankies Auto Electrics - Fusion EN-AM60010 Mono Block Car Amplifier
anyways i would recomend it

Zaadstrade

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S2
Hey Acarmody, cheers for the reply. Yeah the impedance is 2 ohms over the entire sub, so what I researched was I would need a one ohm stable amp when I wire up the two subs. Is this wrong?
Luke23, cheers for the suggestion, fusion seems like a good choice. You're right about people saying my amp will need so much rms, ect and I am still pretty new at this. So I'm surprised that a 600 watt amp would run your two 1000 watt subs, that's awesome! If that amp will run my subs fine then i'll grab it for sure

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
OK so they are DVC 4-ohm subs, than you are right getting a 1-ohm capable amp.

That amp that Luke23 posted up won't even come close to fully powering your subs, its not even 1-ohm capable. The best you will get is 170wrms at 4-ohm. So feeding 170wrms into 800wrms capable subs is not really going to be even close. You will need something like this Ryda Car Audio - Fusion CA-DA12250 Mono Block Car Amplifier($489.85)

Also completely ignore words like max power, always look for RMS or continuous power, these are the true rating of the equipment.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
whoops thats not the one i have, i thought the numbers from that amp were the same as the numbers on my amp because there very simular, but i wrote down the ones from mine and the actual amp i have is this Frankies Auto Electrics - Fusion EN-AM60040 4 Ch Car Amplifier does that seem more right acarmody?

EDIT-okay im confused because the one i posted the first time has the same numbers as the one i have, but if you say it couldnt power two subs then im not sure if it is, so no one listen to me haha, ill do further research tomorrow

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Nah still no good, the OP needs at least 800wrms at 1-ohm or 4-ohm.

Its getting harder to find the old series of Fusion amps, the new series is overriding them, but if you can find some you should get a good price.

This one is good 1000wmrs @ 1-ohm, only $350 Frankies Auto Electrics - Fusion PP-AM200010 2000 Watt Monoblock Amplifier
So I would pay the extra $30 and get this with 1500wrms @ 1-ohm Frankies Auto Electrics - Fusion PP-AM300010 3000watt Monoblock Amp , amp will run cooler and great upgradability for the future.

Zaadstrade

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S2
Hey, thanks everyone for all the advice. Ammo you're right I probably don't need that much power but I can see me upgrading in a while so I'd rather have too much than too little. I've read some reviews and apparentally that Fusion PP-AM300010 3000watt Monoblock Amp is the best value for money. I have to agree, 1500 watt rms @ 1 ohm for only $379? I think I'll place my order tonight. Cheers =D

Zaadstrade

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S2
Hey all, just a quick wiring question, would anyone have a wiring diagram floating around off how to wire these subs up? I'm pretty keen to get them in :)
As stated above I have two Kicker DVC subs, each sub is 2 ohms.
I went for the Fusion PP-AM300010 3000watt Monoblock Amp (one ohm stable) as suggested.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers =D