Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp getting hot since adding subs

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
Ok guys im really a novice when it comes to car audio

I know the basics and how to wire everything.

Well i have just added 2 x 12 inch subs the wagon. I used to only have a 10inch sub and never had problem.

The problem im getting is the amp is getting hot. hot enough that you cant touch it.

the amp that is running the subs is a audioline 4x300peak(1200peak). I have it bridged to 2 channels as per all diagrams.

It is working nor problems and is driving the subs without a issue. gain levels are about 3/4. I have checked polarity to make sure these is not reversed and that is fine.

What are some causes for a amp heating up like this? I know its a cheap amp but the system is not in the car to win competitions just there for the fact its a commodore and it needs subs. lol

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Mate that a simple one really, your amp is under a lot more strain running 2 12's, compared to when you used to just run a single 10' off it. Even though you've set the gain to 3/4, your amp is basically working flat out 100% of the time, trying to power 2 12' subs, so yeah it's gonna get damn hot. It's always best to feed your speakers/subs, a bit more power than what they are rated are. It just means the amp can run more effeciently. Right now you'd be under powering your subs, which can also cause damage to them aswell. :thumbsup:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
in short yes, just think, if you have a speaker that's rated at 10 watts RMS, and you use an amp that supplies 15 watts RMS, it wont have to work anywhere near as hard to supply a stable amount of constant power, meaning it will run cooler and for longer..

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Mate what impedance are the subwoofers? specs?

You may be running the amplifier at an impedance that is to low.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I think you'll find your amp is a high power amplifier, not a high current. Let's say your subs are 4ohms each, wiring them in parallel will present a 2ohm load (requiring relatively high current to drive), drawing more current from any electrical source will create more heat. Bridging also requires more current due to the nature of how bridging works, and will in-turn also create more heat.

The question is, is your amp rated to supply the impedance (ohms) you've loaded it up at whilst bridged? I'd say probably not (being a 4 channel, but that's not necessarily a golden rule), but with some amps you can still get away with it, it's up to you if you want to risk maybe frying your amp or not. :)

+1 to Holdenboy's question, except can we also get the model number for both the amp, and the woofers as well?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
shouldn't matter that he's gone from running one sub at 4ohm, to running to sub's at 2ohm each, the majority of 4 channel amps on the market are 2ohm stable anyway. It's basically a cheap amp that was never intended to run 2 x subwoofers, and he is going to fry the **** out of it it no time. :bang:

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
No he's bridged, which you'll find is more often than not, only four ohm stable. :)

Which means two four ohm subs (assuming they are four ohm), wired in parallel (if it were in series we'd be hearing about lack of output), which means a 2ohm load on a 4ohm rated output. Double the current.

groberr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr equipe
ive found that generally most amps arnt 2 ohms stable if your bridgeing 2ohm stable each channel yes but not in bridged mode

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
most amps are 4ohm stable. dont kid yourself. especially low range amps. you are running both 4 ohms subs in parralell from the bridge. so you are running the amp at 2 ohms. put 1 sub on each channel and it will fix your problem.