Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp Keeps blowing Fuses

D

Darkwander

I have installed my amp and as far as i know it is right , however everytime the head unit it turned on it blows the little fuse on the side of the amp. Does anyone have any ideas why it might do this ?

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Check that its grounded properly and look for shorts :)

D

Darkwander

Both the grounds are fine , i connected a 12 volt light to the power and the ground wires and it lite up both the times. When i do put in the new fuse and turn it on the only spark comes from near the power lead, But this is where the fuse is so i think it is that....

Jimbo

Reaction score
Darkwander said:
Both the grounds are fine , i connected a 12 volt light to the power and the ground wires and it lite up both the times.
Bit confused,... you connected a 12v test lamp, (one end to earth/ground), and the other to:

1 - the positive of the amp and your globe lit up
2 - the ground of the amp and the globe lit up

Is that what you're saying ?? If so, it doesn't sound right to me.

Jim.....

D

Darkwander

Hey all , i have taken the amp back and they tested it. The Amp was faulty and had burnt out, they replaced it and it is working now..

Attachments

• Ampfirestacker.jpg
    Ampfirestacker.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Darkwander

oooo , she isnt going anywhere anytime soon , i have always mounted them there, havnt had a problem , there are wholes , decent size wholes in the parcel shelf above the amp that should help with the heat..

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I am with kalspl, don't leave it mounted like that unless u want it fried. Most manufacturers specifically state not to mount them upside down, and if you do your warranty wil be void. Bad idea........

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Which side of the amp are the heat sinks on now ? the top or the bottom ?
They are designed to disperse the heat , all the heat in your amp now is staying in the circut board , BAD IDEA :)

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Heat rises with air..
As for metal I'm fairly positive the circuit board will be as hot as it would be normally. As long as there is oxygen getting to the Heat Sink. Thats all it needs.

Heat- goes into the metal, works its way spreads out over the metal, large surface area. More chance for cooling.