Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp Locations, VY Commdore?

luke641

ST33ZE: A Berlina Thing
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Berlina with Calais Bits
Hi guys.

Firstly sorry if this has been covered, but i couldn't find a thread with the relevant information using the search bar.

I have just got a VY Berlina (see my ride for pics).. And i want to run a sub using stock head unit. I know i need to get a line level converter, yet how do i install this? Worth doing my self? Or pay the $50 for a pro to do it at a audio shop ie. Strathfield Car Radio...

Now the main issue i have it location of mounting my amp. Its a Powervox 2900watt amp (ebay special, but has served me and mates well in the past), its 45cm x 25cm approx. so it is hard to find a suitable mounting spot, as i would like to mount on the back of rear seats, yet i need to be able to fold the middle seat down and be able to put my skis threw it, so cant obstruct that area much:(

I was thinking of putting/mounting the amp upside down on the under side of the parcel shelf, YES i do know this is supposedly bad, yet i haven't heard/read any reports of it being a issue. The amp has 2 heat dispersers on each sides, running the full length, about 1-2cm deep. It also has heat dispersers on the top, 6 long parallel lines, about 5mm wide and deep.
(Will upload pic later)

So in the end, can i bolt my amp upside down on the parcel shelf? Would it be that pic of a issue, since its main heat dispersers are located on the side?

And if that isnt suitable, where can i mount it with out it being in the way? (PS cant mount on sub box as its larger in dimensions then the box..)

Cheers

Luke

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
i put mine upside down, mums vy had it upside down, hasnt broken, do it its fine, had them in since 2009

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will be posting a 'HOW-TO' on installing a amp on a VY/VZ with stock head unit. stay tuned for some updates...

For the mean time..
Some new goodies:D
33996_437940147145_602192145_600747.jpg

2900 Watt Amp
1000 Watt Xplod Sub
Line Level Converter
Power Distribution Block
Amp Wiring Kit

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I will be posting a 'HOW-TO' on installing a amp on a VY/VZ with stock head unit. stay tuned for some updates...

For the mean time..
Some new goodies:D

2900 Watt Amp
1000 Watt Xplod Sub
Line Level Converter
Power Distribution Block
Amp Wiring Kit

Seeing as you're quoting the power figures of your gear in watts max I'd suggest doing some research into basic electronic theory and in general car audio before writing a misleading how-to guide.

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
Seeing as you're quoting the power figures of your gear in watts max I'd suggest doing some research into basic electronic theory and in general car audio before writing a misleading how-to guide.

I know what, and the RMS of the amp and speakers. But I couldnt find the manual with the specs for the amp and sub. But off memory the sub is about 350wrms. And the Amp is.. who knows. its a cheap ebay amp. anything from 150 to 300. But the amp was very cheap from a mate, so im not worried.

And i have done a tafe course for an electrical trade. So yer...

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Not having a go at you, but if you have done a tafe course in electronics why did you quote 2900watts for the amp when it would lucky to hit 10% of that power?

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honestly, its because i dont have a manufactures figure on that, as even if i did, it would not make anything near it.

I have a new amp on the way. But this will do for time being.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah i wouldnt recommend you doing a "how to" guide if you dont know how to install a LOC.

Not having a go like sweefu said, but to write up a guide like that you'd wanna have done 10+ of these installs.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I know i need to get a line level converter, yet how do i install this?

If you know how to install it, why ask?

Anyway..........

Last edited: