Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp Locations, VY Commdore?

luke641

ST33ZE: A Berlina Thing
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Berlina with Calais Bits
If you know how to install it, why ask?

Anyway..........

There is 2 type i found, First was a really complicated one, requiring taking head unit appart etc. Phreddy does this mod..

2nd is the one im using.. Simply attaches to the rear 6x9's.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi guys.

Firstly sorry if this has been covered, but i couldn't find a thread with the relevant information using the search bar.

I have just got a VY Berlina (see my ride for pics).. And i want to run a sub using stock head unit. I know i need to get a line level converter, yet how do i install this? Worth doing my self? Or pay the $50 for a pro to do it at a audio shop ie. Strathfield Car Radio...

Now the main issue i have it location of mounting my amp. Its a Powervox 2900watt amp (ebay special, but has served me and mates well in the past), its 45cm x 25cm approx. so it is hard to find a suitable mounting spot, as i would like to mount on the back of rear seats, yet i need to be able to fold the middle seat down and be able to put my skis threw it, so cant obstruct that area much:(

I was thinking of putting/mounting the amp upside down on the under side of the parcel shelf, YES i do know this is supposedly bad, yet i haven't heard/read any reports of it being a issue. The amp has 2 heat dispersers on each sides, running the full length, about 1-2cm deep. It also has heat dispersers on the top, 6 long parallel lines, about 5mm wide and deep.
(Will upload pic later)

So in the end, can i bolt my amp upside down on the parcel shelf? Would it be that pic of a issue, since its main heat dispersers are located on the side?

And if that isnt suitable, where can i mount it with out it being in the way? (PS cant mount on sub box as its larger in dimensions then the box..)

Cheers

Luke

Hey dude, why don't you speak to Phreddy on this forum. He made this thing which sits under the rear parcel shelf. It would mean that your amp still sits upright and also he made it so you could unlock it to flip down if you need to maintain anything. Pretty awesome design. Pics can be found here

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey dude, why don't you speak to Phreddy on this forum. He made this thing which sits under the rear parcel shelf. It would mean that your amp still sits upright and also he made it so you could unlock it to flip down if you need to maintain anything. Pretty awesome design. Pics can be found here

Yer I was considering doing that. Still might. Thanks for the link
but

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
i glued a piece of MDF under the carpet onto the metal and screwed it into that.

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the sub is in. No real issues. Other then a install delay due to a faulty battery on sunday morning.. $180 later and its all fixed.

Here are some pics of the install...

If you look on the RHS pannel, you can see the power distribution block. This allowed me to tap into the power for a sunroof (orange/white striped wire). From the block i connect the other end of sunroof power wire in one of the 4 outlets, and the remote into the other. Remote wire runs to the switch under the dash then back again.

37427_438996757145_602192145_604049.jpg

The switch in the trigger/remote wire. This allows me to turn the amp on and off when i choose. So if i want to still listen to music with out loud, drowning bass, i can.

36115_438996712145_602192145_604049.jpg

Pic of the sub, amp, Line Level Convert in the boot... Need to be cleaned up, and need to mount the amp onto the parcel shelf, for the mean time its velco'd into place...

34306_438996892145_602192145_604050.jpg

Some new pics i took of the car when i was bored...

34170_438996617145_602192145_604048.jpg

36408_438996612145_602192145_604048.jpg

Ill post the write up when i get a chance in the next week.

Ryley

VZSV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I like what you've done mate, since I'll be doing this very soon in my VZ it'll be interesting to see!

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you have any questions mate, feel free to ask. It cost me, inc parts 100$ for the install. (minus amp/sub). Strathfield wanted $180 to do it. So i think im ahead, and its done how i wanted it, and i know whats the issue if something was to go wrong.

Only thing is you need to remember to turn amp off at switch when car off. But that is going to change soon anyway. (wire to either HU or acc)

Ryley

VZSV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I used to run my amp straight to the battery? When my car turned off, the amp would turn off. I'm just curious that sunroof cable you've tapped into, does that power the amp, or have you run the power to your battery? Or is it just a simple switch. I'll be using alot smaller amp as I only want it to run my back to speakers in the parcel shelf and my sub, I'll run the 4 speakers inside from my HU.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Not sure what you've done here mate, did you wire the remote wire to the ignition accesories wire? If you forget to turn the switch off you have the risk of running the battery flat. Trigger wire is best connected to the accesories..

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
I used to run my amp straight to the battery? When my car turned off, the amp would turn off. I'm just curious that sunroof cable you've tapped into, does that power the amp, or have you run the power to your battery? Or is it just a simple switch. I'll be using alot smaller amp as I only want it to run my back to speakers in the parcel shelf and my sub, I'll run the 4 speakers inside from my HU.

I only run the sub with my amp. And i still wired the power cable to the amp, the rem, thats tapped into sun roof, is just a simpler way of running the Rem wire. But i have now connected to ACC..

Not sure what you've done here mate, did you wire the remote wire to the ignition accesories wire? If you forget to turn the switch off you have the risk of running the battery flat. Trigger wire is best connected to the accesories..

Its connected to the accessories now. Was just temp other way.

It now turns the amp off when you turn car off. The swtich allows the on/off of the amp, in the event you dont want to use the sub.