Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp power wire keeps melting fuse holder in engine bay,wtf

fnlow1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais '93
I have 8gau wiring on my 1600watt mono amp... no worries. If your wiring doesnt fix things have that BOSS amp checked.... theyre quality is well known

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You won't need more than 8ga for that amp. Plus increasing the wire size won't effect the fuse holder at all. What size fuse is in the holder? The holder will only melt if the fuse is getting too hot (too much current draw) or there is a poor contact in it (resistance).

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
hey all,just wondering if anyone has any ideas why the power wire fuse holder under the bonnet keeps melting,i mean the fuse holder itself keeps melting,its 8 gauge,running a 4ch 1000w boss amp,which is running a 15inch kicker,bridged of course and a pair of 6x9's.do i need to upgrade the gauge from 8 to better,wat does everyone suggest?any help would be much appreciated,cheers

In the short of it the HIGH CURRENT is causing the problem, through the fuse block...... can out the fuse block to a better unit....

Agree with Peanut with the 4 guage, as most 8 guage will only run upto 600 watts max... and some of the aeropro are only rated for 300 and others 600.

Cap would be useful, though not essental.

Stone is right with the FUSE as you have an issue there, but the bigger guage will take the heat out of the system, but not the fuse holder.... and increase current effectiency... VOLTS..

What are you running an AGU or ANL ... most likely a AGU on the 8 GA.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if the fuse didnt have enough amps 2 wat its suppose 2 have wouldnt the fuse itself just blow/melt rather then the whole fuse holder??

goldvnaero did the fuse inside melt also???

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'm going to go with Stone on this one.

If you consider that 8ga is rated for Aprox 50A then it should 700wrms all day long.

There is no way in HELL that a BOSS 4CH is going to put out 700wrms. Replace your fuse holder.

Don't forget that stinger had a bad batch of fuse holders for awhile. I had one that was continously popping fuses. Turns out one end was slightly larger then it should've been and was causing a high resistance joint which was sending the current levels through the roof.

I had one and a mate had a run of 3 of them!
Few other things to consider...where in the engine bay is fuse holder located? Could it be resting against something that gets extremely hot? Also, tighten the hell out of screws where the wire goes in. If thats not as tight as it could be you will get a high resistance joint and that will get HOT

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
isn't this really simple?! whats breaking? the wire or fuse holder? so maybe test the resistance of the holder with a DMM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? if its bugger all wouldn't that point to getting a bigger fuse to rateed just under the cable?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
so maybe test the resistance of the holder with a DMM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It's not that simple. You have to know HOW and WHERE and at what amplitude to check it. Checking it whilst it's static will probably show no resistance.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well what do you mean by how?
and i didn't know dc had a changing amplitude.
could you please explain this, i think i am missing something.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
How? Exactly that..what point do you have to reference the resistance against?

The more current you pull through the fuse the higher the resistance is going to get. The question will be...whats acceptable and whats not acceptable?

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
If you consider that 8ga is rated for Aprox 50A then it should 700wrms all day long.

There is no way in HELL that a BOSS 4CH is going to put out 700wrms. Replace your fuse holder.

Don't forget that stinger had a bad batch of fuse holders for awhile. I had one that was continously popping fuses. Turns out one end was slightly larger then it should've been and was causing a high resistance joint which was sending the current levels through the roof.

12voltking...... it really depends if they have used cheap arse 8ga, as you would be will aware you only have to compare RF or Stinger to some like aeropro and there is a difference..... let alone half the crap on EBAY that is not OFC or half the thickness or wire count.