Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp Problem

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
well as the description says.......me being the person who is always thinking ahead kept a bottle of coolant in the boot.......and it just so happens that somehow the childproof lid came off and coolant is now all through my boot and all through my amp and it warped the base of my sub box

now the amp is fucked i think and i want to know if i take the top cover off it will it dry out and be good again ?

when i have the amp plugged all that happens is the sub inverts and makes an aweful sound and when i fade it towards the front it is still there

so is there anyway tofix the amp i dont wanna buy a new one if i dont havbe to

also i know it is my amp cos i tested a friends and it works fine

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
sorry to say it but as far as my knowledge takes me once you get any kind of liquid on an electric circuit (in ur case your amp) it's screwed, depanding how much the amp cost u, u might be able to get it fixed but, that won't come cheap.

sorry i had to deliver the bad news, but if i am wrong someone, please correct me

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I reckon VK would be about spot on, water and any form of electricity simply don't mix in my experiences.

I mean you could be very lucky and be able to open it up and clean it up but chances of it working again are fairly slim.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
**** aye.....ahh well back to my old crappy amp til i get the money
thanks guys

M

motocross

sorry mate but its a simple equasion

water + electricity = bad thing

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
the other guys are probably right,but before you throw it out try this,open up the amp ,get a pressure pack of electrical circuit cleaner,,dick smiths ,tandys, .then disconnect power to amp spray liberally all over circuit board then use a fine haired brush say a half inch,,paint brush then just carefully brush over all the amp circuits working the spray around, then when youve done that say about 5 mins work on it spray it thoroughly again and turn amp upside down gently shake out any excess fluid then leave it open and on a fourty five degree angle to let any more fluid left in to run out,try and leave it in a warm spot leave it for an hour or two then give it a try,ive saved a few electrical circuits this way ,,,good luck
fergi
ps if it doesnt work it may not cost you a lot to get fixed because generally an ic will probably blow first ,may only cost you 50 dollars,get a quote first before they go ahead

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
most likely it would be one of the capacitors that have blown.....they're mad to do that sometimes.....if you find out which one and you can solder well enough then you can fix them cheaply!!

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
from a profesional point of view (quallified auto spark and a 3rd year apprentice eletrical fitter mechanic aka normal everyday electricain) you can pretty much kiss it goodbye, you get so much as even the little bit of moisture into any part of a diode, resister, capacitor or even the inducer, you can kiss it and just simply throw it away, i would go out and get a new one, i dont know of anyone out there who will charge a decent price to fix a amp. you can try to use some sort of a electrical circuit cleaner, but honestly, unless you got it straight away i dont like your chances.

scozz

Reaction score
I agree with the above. most, if not all, of the semiconductors would be rooted. Unless you want to rebuild the unit, throw it.