Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

amp problem

dbun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Just finished hooking up my gear and went to test it but the amp did not come on.......it was in diagnostic mode. I unplugged everything except the power supply to the amp and this time no lights came on at all. When i tried to plug an RCA plug into it the diagnostic LED came on.

I think it's a power issue though because it does not go into 'power' mode with only power, ground and remote plugged in.

If i put a multimeter on the power and ground cable (not plugged into the amp) i get about 12V. When i plug them into the amp and measure across the amps terminals it is about 6V......dodgey fuse maybe???

And also is the remote trigger 12V as well.......haven't measured yet but not sure what it is supposed to be

EDIT: when i used the multimeter it was more like 11.98V

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
dbun said:
Just finished hooking up my gear and went to test it but the amp did not come on.......it was in diagnostic mode. I unplugged everything except the power supply to the amp and this time no lights came on at all. When i tried to plug an RCA plug into it the diagnostic LED came on.

I think it's a power issue though because it does not go into 'power' mode with only power, ground and remote plugged in.

If i put a multimeter on the power and ground cable (not plugged into the amp) i get about 12V. When i plug them into the amp and measure across the amps terminals it is about 6V......dodgey fuse maybe???

And also is the remote trigger 12V as well.......haven't measured yet but not sure what it is supposed to be

EDIT: when i used the multimeter it was more like 11.98V

Sounds like a high resistance to earth (bad earth) to me.....
Check your earth with your multimeter and see what it reads it should be near zero.

Place one probe on the earth cable at the amp and the other probe on some metal part of the car, should be a part with no paint, or anything around it just metal.....

See how you go with that ..... cheers

Lets work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY!! :w00t:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Above +1 :thumbsup: bad earth I reckon too. Or possibly corrosion or other nastiness in terminals/fuseholders causing a high resistance path in the supply line.

If you have close enough to 0V across your earth cable as VQXTC has suggested, the voltage drop is occuring somewhere between the battery and the amp's power input. Inspect the above items.

Cheerz!

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
when you say you unplugged everything but the power, did you leave the remote wire connected?