Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp selection with 2 6x9s and a sub?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
it's also a wise idea to add an extra large cable running from (-) battery post to car body.

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Trunkrattler, according to the jaycar site, the Jaycar 4x100W puts out 380W @4 ohms when bridged. I think this would be ample power to run a boss 10" sub.

I'm running my splits and sub off a 4x100 amp at the moment and it has no trouble up to a reasonably loud level without distorting, loud enough that it's hard to see out the rear view mirror anyway.

Just seems the most economical option to me, then when money permits, buy a monobloc and a better sub. Then bridge the 4ch to run the fronts.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I'm actually not in it to have a magnificient sound system, I just want it to sound good and have punchy bass which is why I opted for the 10" sub. Basically, once the system is complete as I plan it to be, that's the way it's going to stay.

It's claimed to be 500w RMS /1000w max, so I was actually going to look into that 800w Class D amp from Jaycar, but the thing is I don't know if it's 4 channels, and I don't know what significance 'Class D' is. That would work well for me, since the satellite speakers are Sony Xplod 3-ways which are 200 watts each, so two bridged channels would give the sub 400 watts and the other two channels would give the 3-ways 200 watts each which to me would suit it just about perfectly.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok, well having had a second look at the description for that amp, it seems as though it is specifically for subwoofers, which is no use to me...

...But!

There is another Jaycar amp they have listed - a 2x150WRMS amp, that when bridged will produce 500WRMS for a 4 ohm load. I'm looking at two of those. Wooo! I'm also keeping an eye on Ebay for an MP3/CD head unit because I'm so used to having MP3 CDs in my work car ;).