Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp & Sub combo on a budget

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
Hey everyone

I know a lot of threads have been created that are similar to this but some get quite confusing and get way off topic so I decided to start my own!

I'm currently looking for an Monoblock Amp & 12" Sub combo but I'm on a budget of about $400-450.
My current system consists of Alpine HU, Fusion Powerplant 6.5" Splits, Fusion Powerplant 6.5" Coaxials, Fusion Powerplant 4 channel amp and an old Kenwood sub (that I'm getting rid of).
Any suggestions on some reasonable quality amp and sub combo's (keeping in mind my budget) would be much appreciated!

Cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
What type of music do you listen to, and how much bass are you after?
Are you factoring in the cost of a new enclosure? (i recommend this)
I can pretty much guess up the type of sound youre getting right now, so are you after more low bass, or a punchier / tighter bass?

If you listen to alot of Rap, RnB, Drum n Bass etc then my suggestion would be a ported box, they take up more room than a sealed box but give out more volume (SPL) and a lower frequency extension (lower bass notes are more prominent).

If your wanting a box also, here's a few ported "combos"

JBL Sub / Box Combo

Pioneer Sub / Box Combo

Monoblocks:

In your budget, something with 250-400wrms is what you'll be looking at:

Ryda Car Audio - Clarion Car Audio APX1301 Car Amplifier($158.85)

Ryda Car Audio - Kenwood Car Audio KAC-8104D Car Amplifier($208.85)

If for some reason you want to stick with Fusion, they do make the gear required for your budget:

Fusion Monoblock

Fusion Subwoofer

Suitable Sealed Enclosure (if required)

These are just general examples, youve given a good amount of info in your first post, but we need more to make suggestions that suit you.

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
Holdenboy – Thanks for your suggestions so far…look forward to hearing more.
I do like a fair bit of base, nothing ridiculous. I listen to various types of music but I would say most of it is rock & RnB. I would like to get an enclosure included in my budget if possible. I was after a ported box but like u said they do take up more room and I am trying to keep as much space as possible in my boot. I have my current amp under the parcel shelf which could become a problem. Any suggestions on a boot set up would be much appreciated too. I’m open to both options (ported or sealed) but I have heard ported are a lot better.
What is your opinion on Fusion gear and do you recommend I stick with them?
Cheers

Marcdon - Thanks for your suggestion. I have had a look at that set up I'm just a bit worried about the size of the enclosure, I will have to do some accurate measurements in my boot. Cheers

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
we have fusion in both our cars and i must say they aren't too bad. In the vl we have the first series - encounter and in the vr the reactor series. The speakers in the encounter series have a lil more bass to them and the reactor speakers seem to be a lot clearer. The sub that we are running in the VL is the encounter box.... DO NOT.... I REPEAT, DO NOT GET ONE...... The encounter boxes with the built in amp tend to need replacing within 6-8months due to the wires in the amp rattling loose due to bass. Its is a good box but have already had to replace the first one and thank god it was under warrenty so got a brand new one FTW! The reactor 4 channel amps push out more power obviously than the encounter and then if you go the step up to the powerplant series (which is the competition series) and they push out even more. We have one 12" sub in each car which is fusion and they seem to pump out enough bass so I wouldn't see as to why you wouldn't need more than one. You can pick up 12" fusion subs already in a ported box but mainly you will find you can really only get these from places that sell all of the fusion gear not just a few speakers here and there. However if your space is an issue buy a sub and build your own box to suit. or even get a space saver sub enclosure. Some ppl have mixed opinions on Fusion. We honestly have stuck with fusion because it produces a sound that we both like and we haven't had any issues with it. Looking at getting all powerplant for the Project car and so far i'm looking at spend big bucks but if you shop around you will find that you can pick up some good fusion stuff cheaply.

heres the link for the fusion website

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/australia/car-audio-1/product-type.aspx

check it out. has all the specs and what not and then you will be able to see if it is what you really want.

marcdon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Evec 05
Mate if you have a VY it will fit nice and snug, I've got a VZ and it fits perfectly, iv got it secured into the bottom of the parcel tray it sits about half way across the middle seat. amp can be mounted on the back of the sub box. Great value for money and if you wana stay with fusion gear definitely get Powerplant stuff.

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
nackerz - thanks for the info mate. I have not had any trouble with any of my fusion gear which is always good. I would definitely be sticking with just the one 12" Sub and I was hoping not to have to build my own...looking for a sub already in an enclosure...but I might decide to if it saves me space without sacrificing quality. The rest of my system is Fusion Powerplant so I wouldnt mind staying with Fusion Powerplant...just depending on the size of their subs...i've heard they are quite big and heavy! Got any pics of your set up? Cheers

marcdon - What sound system have you got in your VZ mate, all fusion? Have you got any pics of your boot set up? If not, can you describe to me exactly how you have it set up? Cheers

Last edited:

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
All good mate.

Honestly I say stick with what ya know!!!

I only have some pictures of the system in the walky

b7avjn.jpg
the only cd player fusion made!!! have another for sale thats brand new!
wtvthu.jpg
6 1/2" in the front
x6mljs.jpg
6x9 in the rear
fe298g.jpg
Fusion Encounter sub box 12" with boss Amp
2rzfddd.jpg
thats the built in amp in the sub box ( DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE)
xbei5g.jpg

Don't have much room in the boot of the VL ne more cause of the big sub box

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
Cheers. That gives me an idea of how big the sub is anyway. If you take any of your set up in the VR you should chuck some up. Are most 12" ported sub enclosures around the same size or are their some brands out there that are known for being smaller?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Most ported enclosures are around that size, but some are different shapes which may allow you to place it up against the back seat.......might be worth making a trip to your local car audio store, they should have a few different ported enclosures and you may be able to test fit them in your car.

If youre not after a whole heap of bass, or the most output for your money, then maybe sealed is worth considering? You can get the moulded fibreglass enclosures from places like eBay and you wont loose much of your bootspace at all.
HOLDEN COMMODORE 12'' SUB SUBWOOFER BOX VY VZ LS1 GEN 3 - eBay Subwoofers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-May-10 21:30:59 AEST)