Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp + sub help!!!

dirtjumper005

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Supercharged
Amp + sub help!!! PICS ADDED

I've recently bought 2 10inch Rampage subs and a Clarion APX1301 monoblock AMP, Now... The amp was installed all good, power cable, earthing, Remote turn on and RCA cables ETC...
HOWEVER i got ye old speaker cable out hooked up 2 subs like you should, rechecked everything but the EFFING subs are not working.
I DO know that the subs are not blown as before installation they were used with the surround sound in my room.
So is there any way the speaker cable or bloody anything would be holding them back from working, I can supply pics of the setup if anyone would like them to help me out.
I also thought there might be some gay problem with the RCA OUTPUT from the back of the headdeck as insted of the plain ol rca output it has 'Rear out, Front out' and Sub W out' but im just thinking out loud here.
any help would be greatly appreciated
CHEERS!!!!

Last edited:

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Yer show us some pics, and we will see if anything stands out.
And am i right in assuming youve got the monoblock hooked up to Sub W Out?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
If you have the RCAs hooked up to the "sub out" on the headunit (like you should) then theres a good chance you will have to turn on the sub channel on the headunit. At least thats the way it is on my Pioneer unit.
What headunit are you running?

Does the power light on the amp turn on?

dirtjumper005

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Supercharged
If you have the RCAs hooked up to the "sub out" on the headunit (like you should) then theres a good chance you will have to turn on the sub channel on the headunit. At least thats the way it is on my Pioneer unit.
What headunit are you running?

Does the power light on the amp turn on?

Yeah RCA is plugged into SubW out and the Sub is turned on through the head unit, and yeah the amp light is on, i tested every lead on the amp individually to see what it could be, no light without ground.. obviously, no light without remote turn on or power lead, so there all in, the lights on, so its something to do with the in and out of the audio

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Yeah RCA is plugged into SubW out and the Sub is turned on through the head unit, and yeah the amp light is on, i tested every lead on the amp individually to see what it could be, no light without ground.. obviously, no light without remote turn on or power lead, so there all in, the lights on, so its something to do with the in and out of the audio

hey mate, could anything be touching each other to make it short? Usually shorting makes the subs cut out on and off, however it might be worth a check

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
check your crossovers on the amp, might have the high pass on instead of the low pass

dirtjumper005

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Supercharged
Ive checked and re-checked the X-over, and as to anywires touching, when i was installing it all i double checked all the wirings when i finshed for anything like that, so im stumped, ill hook up photos of the entire set up 2moro for a bit more of an insider

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Check to make sure the speaker wiring is properly connected to the subs (sometimes they can come undone inside the box).

I would try connecting the RCAs to either the front or rear outputs on the head-unit, may be also worthwhile to try another set of RCAs?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I was going to suggest the wires in the sub box as well.

Then it wouldn't hurt to try hooking up any old speaker you have lying around and seeing if that works

dirtjumper005

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Supercharged
I was going to suggest the wires in the sub box as well.

Then it wouldn't hurt to try hooking up any old speaker you have lying around and seeing if that works

I tried with an old speaker... NADA, still no doof doof, here is the pics of the entire set-up to help you all out to help me out.. and if anyone asks, its grounded under the back seats
IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG