Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

amp suggestions/amp wiring

V

vn_s_pac

hey people, im thinking of buying an amp, but theres a few thing i want to know before purchasing an amp. 1 will a cheap amp for example $100 2 x 200w be any good for a temporary sub, as i will buy a better amp in the future. 2. is it easy to install an amp into a VN or i should get someone qualified to install it. any diagrams would be good.

Cheers Aaron :D

M

MAXVK

the only advise i can offer is dont buy a cheap amp for subs, the majority of cheaper amps have way too much current running through them...also 400watts for a sub? :S
check out http://www.redrival.com/ixlnxtc24/ for some basic wiring and installation help.

blue alliance

Reaction score
Website
www.cruisingmackay.com
Members Ride
98 VT S pack Supercharged/ 77 Datsun 260z Rb20det
spend a minimum of 250 dollars on the amp as anything less will just cause hassles. If you are good at bargaining 250 dollars will get you a good entry level Mtx or pioneer amp. You can probably get away with a wiring kit for 30 or so dollars. Also don't always look at the high wattage ratings on the sub woofers. Go for something that has a good rms rating and plenty of flex, Jl audio subs in the 125w rms range should cover it. Wiring in a Vn shouldn't be to hard, just make sure u know how to pull your center console and half the dash appart. All of this shouldn't be to hard for someone who knows there way round a commodore. The rest should be in your instruction manuals which come with the audio gear. I once had the "Pros" at Autobarn install my set up, never again. They bodged everything and ripped me off for hundreds simply because i had no time to do it myself. Do it yourself as you can guarantee that it is done properly and you will save a stack.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
if i was you theres no point buying a cheap amp installing it then going out and buying another good amp then installing that one, it's just a waste of money and time, might as well save and get the good amp the first time.

cheers

scott

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
ye check the rms rating of any sub that you buy, dont bother about the peak power, peak power will be something like 1000w adn rms will be like 250w ish, rms is constant power that the sub can run, id go with a cheep pioneer or something if ya gona just upgrade it but then again im a major pioneer fan even though my vp has a kenwood system in is :) its easy to fit in to a vn hardest bit is pulling out your deck and running a cord through ur firwall to ur battery there should be a small hole just below the drivers side of the windscreen, me and my mate just put 2 sony subs in his 88 vn s pak. run the cords under the plastics around the doors and into the boot with an earth somewhere in the boot, its easy shoudl only take an hour or so. if ya have any more questions just ask :)