Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp to run 2 6X9 Speakers and a Sub

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
G'day, I'm currently in the market for a new amp, however I have run into a bit of confusion with it.
I'm currently mainly looking at the pioneer gm-6400F 4 ch amp.
I see on the side of it that it has a switch for 2ch/4ch mode, so if i were to hook up the speakers and bridge the sub across 3&4, would it work? or can you only run 2 speakers bridged or 4 speakers individually?
Should I be looking at a 2ch amp and monoblock setup, with the possibility of upgrading my sub while I'm at it?
I'm running 4 door splits off the headunit (pioneer, with 2 kenwood splits and 2 pioneer splits i think).
The 6x9's are sony, with 60w rms and the sub is cobalt, is 500w peak by memory, so can't tell you much there.
My previous (and current) amp is a Power Acoustik PA-400 4ch amp. When i got the car it had 6x9's and the sub bridged. It worked great, until it started to fail. (channel 3&4 cut out during the summer heat) and it seems to get static through the speakers now.
I figured upgrading to about a 5-600 watt amp wold get the best out of my speakers, without blowing the budget of up to $200

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yes, all 4 channels amps (as far as I've seen) can run with 2 channels bridged into 1 and the other 2 channels running individual speakers.

Why are you going to use 2 sets of splits, 6x9's and a sub? 3 sets of speakers is not good. I don't understand why people buy several sets of cheap speakers when one/two set of GOOD speakers would sound a lot better.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
You have misread what I wrote, two 6x9 speakers and a 12 inch sub.
It's good to hear that I can do this, I was just a bit concerned when I saw the 2ch/4ch switch. What would I do with that for what I want to do? Or is it just there so the amp can act like a 2ch amp if need be.
Any recomendations for an amp and where to buy?

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Any other suggestions?
I have been looking at the Pioneer GM 6200F 6300F and 6400F second hand on ebay. They are going for around $150 posted, which I'm not real keen to spend atm, without a warranty, but may change my mind later.
I read in one ad that these amps have built in fans which I think is a massive plus, considering the lack there of in my previous (current) amp was it's downfall (causing it to overheat all the time and stuff up). So i'd say if it doesn't have a fan, I probably won't be considering it, unless someone has a suggestion otherwise.

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
if your running one of those amps. make sure your feeding them the power it needs or it will keep cutting out.

run it on 4 chans and bridge chan 3 and 4