Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp to Run Hertz HV 165 XL Woofer

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Could have had my Audison 200x2 for $300 or my Soundstream 400x2 for $500 the other week :p Talk about headroom :D

You're not going to hear much if any difference between amp... People will say you will but you'd need magic hearing. When buying more expensive amps, you're pretty much paying for a name, reliability, features and actual power output. Now that there is CEA ratings, pretty much all the name brands make the power they advertise.

I agree with HCVP that spending more on speakers is much more important than the amplifier.

What Audison amp was that? So you recon a Option Audio OAC160 (350 x 2 bridged) would be as good as a Audison SRx4 (180 x 2)? Take away power rating. The OAC160 is highest output bridged, and least expensive.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Bridging an amp reduces the quality... So it's hard to say. I don't think it would be audible.

I sold my LRx2.500... Old school LRx model. 200x2@4ohm, 660x1@4ohm.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
This is ridiculous!
I am searching all the specs for the amps I'm interested in. But can't find certain info to compare each amp.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
How come 150 x 2 isn't enough?

Your running active right? If so, then 150 rms either side would be fine, and i still stand by suggestion that you will benifit more by spending money on better speaker with cheaper amp, vs cheaper speaker better amp.

This comes from previous exp, not what the specs on paper tell, or what a shop advises you to buy.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
How come 150 x 2 isn't enough?

Your running active right? If so, then 150 rms either side would be fine, and i still stand by suggestion that you will benifit more by spending money on better speaker with cheaper amp, vs cheaper speaker better amp.

This comes from previous exp, not what the specs on paper tell, or what a shop advises you to buy.

I'm just after some headroom. If I run the rated RMS of the speakers, the amp will be pushing. Rather have some headroom so amp doesn't have to work so hard etc.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
What about a Hertz EP4x? quoted $470.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Focal Solid 4 (4ch) - $530
RMS - 200 x 2 Bridged 4Ohm
S/N - >100dB (A)
THD at Rated - 1%
Dampening Factor 4ohm - 100 @ 1Khz
Fuse - 25A x 2

Audison SRx4 (4ch) - $500
RMS - 180 x 2 Bridged 4Ohm
S/N - 96dB
THD at 1Khz @ 4ohm - 0.06%
Dampening Factor 1Khz @ 4ohm - 140
Fuse - 20A
CEA2006 - output 4ohm <1% THD 14.4V - 60w x 4 --- S/N: 60w:78dB

Hertz EP4X (4ch) - $470
RMS - 320 x 2 @ 4ohm bridged
S/N - 98dB
THD - 0.08% @ 1kHz @ 4ohm
Dampening Factor - 130 @ 1kHz @ 4ohm
Fuse - 3 x 30A

Hertz EP2X (2ch) - $430
RMS - 220 x 2 @ 4ohm
S/N - 100dB
THD at 1kHz - 0.05%
Dampening Factor at 1kHz - 130
Fuse - 3 x 30A

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm just after some headroom. If I run the rated RMS of the speakers, the amp will be pushing. Rather have some headroom so amp doesn't have to work so hard etc.

I thinking you've missed the mark a little.

My suggestion for the cheaper amp was to leave more money for a better set of speakers, not nessacarilly the ones you had selected.

it's obvious the amount of effort you've put into reading as much sources as you can, but i think maybe you've read too much.....Looking too much into specifications on paper, rather than considering how a component is likely to perform in the real world.

At the end of the day you want the absolute most value for your money that you can get. Sometimes you have to leave out some of the more technical details, and go back to the basics.

Power is power. Whether it comes from Alpine , Focal, Steg, or something you built yourself, it dosen't matter. The audible differences between amplifiers in any given price range are going to be little if any, and that's if you have the listening abilities to even tell the difference.

What will make the most difference overall is speaker selection, and to some extent the source i.e your head unit. I'm not saying i'm right, or anybody is wrong, i just don't like seeing people spending their hard earned money on something that isn't offering them the most value for their money, and can be better spent elsewhere.

But hey it's your call, if you think the above selection of amps will offer more for your money than a better set of speakers then by all means splash out, it is after all, your money.

Last edited:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Re. HCVP.
I've previously had the TRC6N (200wrms 91dB) in my VS Calais, they were loud, not ear deafening loud. I don't know why they weren't. I didn't tune the system but I was running Tarantula2.820 (250 x 2). With the SoundStream SST-05's (50wrms 108db) replacing the TRC6N tweeters. I had my doors dynamated inner & outer skins with MDF service holes. If you've read my other posts I own pro audio gear aswell.. I like to know I can get loud even if I don't use it always. When people say 50wrms is loud, from maths speaking, the trc should be 6dB louder. For whatever reason I didn't find the TRC's extremely loud.

I've been looking for front stage for some times now as u mentioned. Reason was because I am reading into it so much is because I did like the TRC's but I thought I'd could manage extreme loud and failed lol. So before I buy something again I'll do lots of research and save money. I'm 21 and like clubbing so I like loud music, I was going to go with TRC's again but thought the Hertz are more efficient and better SQ.

Then I look at, if I'm spending $400+ on an amp, I'd want to be able to use the amp in future with some new speakers. I look for bang for buck with good SQ. $50 here for there isn't much difference if you have the gear for 1yr.