Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amplifier install

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bit of back ground on the car....It's a VC, with a VX alternator fitted.....The battery has been relocated to the boot, with the main charge wire running back to the battery.

I am after some advise about an amplifier and stereo install i have just completed.....When I run the car, I am now getting the engine noise through the speakers....How can I stop this as it is bloody annoying.

Thanks in advance

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does the alternator have the condenser on the back?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep RCA’s too close to main power wire generally. Run the signal wires on the opposite side of the car to the power wires. If we’ll sheilded rca’s are generally okay but good practise to have them well apart.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yep RCA’s too close to main power wire generally. Run the signal wires on the opposite side of the car to the power wires. If we’ll sheilded rca’s are generally okay but good practise to have them well apart.
Yeah, my last car was power down LH side, RCA down RH side, and speaker wire down the centre.
If needing to crossover each other, run at 90deg not parallel.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have the speaker wires running down both sides of the car......The noise is through all speakers.

The RCA leads do exit the back of the stereo on the same side at the rear of the stereo hole, as the rest of the stereo wiring...Would this possibly be the cause?

The amplifier is mounted in the rear of the car, with the main power wire running across the top of the amplifier into a battery isolator switch.....Opposite side to the main alternator charge wire.

The amplifier trigger wire runs down the centre of the car......

No the alternator doesn't have a condensor fitted.....How would I go about fitting one, taking into consideration I am running a VX alternator..

Thanks for the input so far....Gives me a little more to look at

Last edited: