Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

An amp to run my splits?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I currently have a set of Pioneer TS-C1625 6.5" splits in my car being run off a Alpine MRP-F250 amp (also powering 6x9"s). This amp only puts out 40wrms, so obviously these 60wrms splits aren't reaching their full potential.

For Christmas I picked myself up a Pioneer GM-3300T amp from WOW for $99, it runs at 60wrms x 2 at 4ohm so I thought this would run my splits great. But when I got home I noticed that it doesn't have HPF or a variable crossover frequency control. So what I want to know is if this amp is gonna make my splits waste power trying to make bass or will it be alright. Also are there any other amps that are fairy cheap that would be better?

-Cheers, Adrian

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You could use that amp, depending on what head-unit you have and whether or not it has HPFs built in. Your splits wont like anything under the 60hz region, this will lower how loud they will play without distorting. It really depends on what youre after.......if its pure volume and you already have a sub then HPFs are basically your only option. Then again if you dont have a sub or your after sound quality over volume HPFs should be set to a minimum (20-35hz), if it all.

Its always a good practice to "overpower" your speakers a little, like if theyre rated at 60wrms (in your case) then something with 70-80wrms per channel will be ideal.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
you are not going to be able to hear any difference with the extra 20WRMS, and
you are correct that the amp has no HPF only LPF. what HU do you have? you might be able to set the HPF there

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My H/U is a Kenwood KDC-X8006U. I am right now looking at the H/U manual and yes i can adjust the front high pass filter, to 40/60/80/100/120/150/180/220Hz. So do I just set it here and it will be all sweet? Also what is a good value to set it?

And 2LOUD2OLD what do you mean I won't hear the extra 20WRMS. A stock H/U only puts out 15 or so WRMS while my current amp puts out 40WRMS and I can certainly tell the difference.

-Adrian

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep, install the Pioneer amp and set the HPF on the h/u to between 40-100hz, i'd say the 60hz mark will give good results, but best try each one.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
there really needs to be a significant increase in power in order to tell a difference, going from 15WRMS to 40WRMS is over double the power, increasing by another 20WRMS is not going to give you any huge audible difference if you can hear one at all. however seeing as you have already bought the pioneer you might as well use it, or why not bridge the alpine giving you 100WRMS, then you will hear a difference

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
there really needs to be a significant increase in power in order to tell a difference, going from 15WRMS to 40WRMS is over double the power, increasing by another 20WRMS is not going to give you any huge audible difference if you can hear one at all. however seeing as you have already bought the pioneer you might as well use it, or why not bridge the alpine giving you 100WRMS, then you will hear a difference

Putting 100WRMS into speakers only designed to take 60WRMS is one sure fire way of blowing the crap out of them.

Would give me an excuse to buy some really good ones though. :yeah:

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
umm no, its called headroom, if you set your gains correctly you will have no problems.
I am currently running 250WRMS into my splits which are rated at 100WRMS, I will soon be increasing this to 550WRMS per side when I get my 4 channel repaired.
60W speakers running off 100WRMS sounds like a good match to me

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Whats the point of putting 550WRMS into speakers that are still only going to put out 100WRMS.

But I have taken some of your advice into consideration and I am thinking of bridging the MRP-F250 into 100WRMS x 2. A audio store close to me has a set of PolkAudio splits rated at 100WRMS on sale for $250 down from $600 (ex-display). Should be fun :D. Then I can take my Pioneer splits and put them in the rear doors for more fun, and use the Pioneer amp to power these.

-Adrian

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Sounds like a plan.....you'll like the Polk splits, very decent speakers (especially for that money).

Trust us when we say headroom is nearly always a good thing, you have to remember also an amp is rated at 14.4v and at a fixed impedance, unless stated otherwise. (for example - 100wrms x 2, 14.4v 4 ohm) This power figure is somewhat unrealistic in car with speakers that have an impedance that rises and falls constantly. Not to mention the 14.4v figure. What this means is your 100wrms/ch. amp puts out considerably less than 100wrms in the real world, running real speakers.