Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] An Ecotec, a turbo, and a man a.k.a Ecotec Turbo Build

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Thought I would post this up for anybody who is looking to do a turbo setup by themselves on the cheaper side of things. I'm aiming to keep the price down as low as possible, while using quite a few eBay parts and seeing what I can get out of it. Because I live in Hong Kong currently all the parts from Japan/Taiwan/China cost all of about $5 AUS to post to me, my turbo only cost me $20 to post. :rofl2:

First of all the car, a VS 5 speed (T5) Ecotec that has just been fully rebuilt 5000km ago. Other than a 2.5" catback its pretty much a stock, single spinner. I am going to be running 10psi to begin with and shooting for 250rwhp.

So I have been working at this for about a month now with my research, recently started purchasing the parts I am going to need. So far I have:

The turbo
A GT35 copy with a .63 turbine on it, the quality is actually surprisingly good, they have done a decent job of making the thing.

The manifold
Currently being delivered with some work needing to be done but its a stainless sidemount

Watercooling kit
My first test to see how close the copy is, the GT35 kit fits perfectly into the copy.

LSD
Sitting in my shed at home waiting to be taken down to the workshop and fitted

From here the next point of attack is to get the oil kit for it, and finish deciding on how im going to pipe it up. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• DSCF9001.jpg
    DSCF9001.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,803
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,344
  • turbo.JPG
    turbo.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,029

STL17

Whipit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged vp v6 manual
How much did the manifold set ya back

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
$500, just needs a bit of welding done and thats it. Pretty good deal I thought.

STL17

Whipit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged vp v6 manual
Hell yeh got a site

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Its second hand from some guy who was going to run it on an L67 block but has changed to a turbo LS1.

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Any updates yet man?!

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Well thought I would put an update up. Intercooler (600x300x76) has been ordered along with a Walbro GSS341 and bunch of bits and pieces for the dump pipe to be made up with. Turbo manifold is being worked on at the moment to have it prepared, should hopefully have it back by next month. Looking at injectors at the moment, deciding if I'm going to go with the L67's or with something a bit bigger. LSD maybe will be fitted in next week, working on the design of the dump pipe at the moment, going to give my welding skills a crack one night with it on a hoist and see what I can make up. Trying to figure out what to do with the exhaust though, its a 2.5" cat back on there at the moment, if I cut the cat off the existing pipes and weld it to the dump then im going to have the issue of being a 3" dump and a 2.5" cat back (AFAIK you cant get a 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet cat).

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Bit of an update, went to finally mount it all up yesterday only to find that the manifold looks like it was designed for a VT/VX (strut towers) and the geometry of it all means the turbo doesn't sit correctly with enough room. So I've decided the only option is going to be new manifolds, which I am leaning towards the Pro Flow Fab ones. Once I get those I can finally finish this build and hopefully have it on the road ASAP.

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
We run Siemens deka 60lb injectors, we maxed out the Bosch 42lb injectors quite fast, the l67 ones are only 36lb lol