Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

an extremely annoying buzzing sound through my car audio!

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
What state are you in? Pioneer will usually fix the RCA fuse for free the first time... So just take it or send it to them.

I'm in Victoria.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Pioneer have their own service department in Mulgrave (S.E Melb)... You can take it there or post it.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
ive noticed mine done the same thing..... i have rca's down 1 side of the car... power down the other, a pretty good ground....
but i have a pioneer and i heard its a typical problem so im not going to try and get rid of the noise, getting rid of the headunit and replacing it with a new alpine :D

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
That's pretty stupid when they'll probably fix it for free. It's not a Pioneer problem either, it's a fuse that whoever installed the system caused to blow.

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
ive noticed mine done the same thing..... i have rca's down 1 side of the car... power down the other, a pretty good ground....
but i have a pioneer and i heard its a typical problem so im not going to try and get rid of the noise, getting rid of the headunit and replacing it with a new alpine :D

....lol, I wouldn't straight away assume that it's the head deck. try and find an old head unit and wire that up and see if there is still noise.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
its a old headunit anyway and ive been planning on getting rid of it for ages(only has 1 rca output :()....
all wires are good and my old headunit with the same rca's and stuff worked fine when i used to run just my 6x9's....
this one was fine at the beginning and over time started buzzing louder and louder, so im pretty sure its the headunit :)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Nah, the buzzing caused by the blown RCA ground fuse wouldn't change... Once it's blown, you have the noise. It might be something else causing the noise if it's changed over time.

If you really want to check if it's the RCA ground gone you can do the following (this is for anyone, not just you, padrickz):
- Slide your head unit out of the dash
- Find where the RCA's are plugged in (leave them plugged in)
- Grab a bit of wire (strip both ends)
- Touch one end of the wire you the head unit's metal shell (as that is always ground unless a whole bunch of earth tracks in the head unit have fried)
- Touch the other end of the wire to the visble metal on the RCA connection (the outside ring that you can still see when the RCA's are plugged in is the ground, the sound travels via the centre pin)
- Start your car and play some music

If the whining/buzzing sound is gone, it means the RCA ground fuse is blown. If the whining/buzzing sound is still there, the problem is elsewhere.

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
Nah, the buzzing caused by the blown RCA ground fuse wouldn't change... Once it's blown, you have the noise. It might be something else causing the noise if it's changed over time.

If you really want to check if it's the RCA ground gone you can do the following (this is for anyone, not just you, padrickz):
- Slide your head unit out of the dash
- Find where the RCA's are plugged in (leave them plugged in)
- Grab a bit of wire (strip both ends)
- Touch one end of the wire you the head unit's metal shell (as that is always ground unless a whole bunch of earth tracks in the head unit have fried)
- Touch the other end of the wire to the visble metal on the RCA connection (the outside ring that you can still see when the RCA's are plugged in is the ground, the sound travels via the centre pin)
- Start your car and play some music

If the whining/buzzing sound is gone, it means the RCA ground fuse is blown. If the whining/buzzing sound is still there, the problem is elsewhere.

I just tried this. I wired up my pioneer head-unit, and plugged in the RCA's. The buzzing was there but i stripped some wire and touched it on the RCA metal connection and the buzzing disappeared. So it's almost certain that the RCA ground fuse is gone.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Either post it or drop it off at the Pioneer Service Department at 2211 Princes Hwy, Mulgrave VIC 3170 and they'll fix it up then.

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
cheers for the help!