Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Again where is the personal stuff I said against her? Read my original comment again and don't misconstrued my words
You've continually referred to her as a puppet, someone who’s strings are pulled by others. Such descriptions questions her intelligence and whether she has the ability to decide how to push her agenda... One’s intelligence is the essence of their individuality, so attacking her intelligence rather than the science of climate change is, as I see it, a personal insult.

But you obviously see it differently.

The psychology of insults may be worth a read.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Nope, you decided to interpret that how you wanted to. Calling her a puppet is by no means questioning her intelligence or her ability to decide how to push her agenda and I stand behind my original comment of her being a puppet as that is what she is, she may well have a deep interest in climate change and I admire her for taking a stand against it but she is out of her depth in many ways and is being used by others for the cause.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You've continually referred to her as a puppet, someone who’s strings are pulled by others. Such descriptions questions her intelligence and whether she has the ability to decide how to push her agenda... One’s intelligence is the essence of their individuality, so attacking her intelligence rather than the science of climate change is, as I see it, a personal insult.

But you obviously see it differently.

The psychology of insults may be worth a read.
I find it very difficult to comprehend how a 16 year old school child can go from absenting herself from school to demonstrate her climate beliefs, to getting an audience in front of world leaders at the UN without having some significant support from influential individuals or corporations. Her world travels clearly involve considerable expense. I believe she is a front for an environmental organisation. I also believe, while she speaks from the heart, her speeches are not her own creation. I'm not criticising her personally. While I don't agree with some of her more extreme statements (eg people are dying.. etc), I don't criticise her for her beliefs. I just think she is dancing to someone else's tune.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe her parents are reasonably well off. Clearly now she is the poster child for climate change there is some sort of corporate sponsorship but I dont think there was in the early days. Not till after the UN speech. Do some research, all the info is out there.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Calaber, you do realise politicians from all sides have speach writers and support from the big end of town... And politicians get to where they are because others believe in them or their cause. So, it shouldn't be a surprise that Gretta has attracted supporters, funds and advisers, being that many believe in the issue as she does... But such things shouldn't detract from the message that she's pushing...

If you don't believe in her ideas, fight them with facts rather than with personal attacks and violence (not saying you have done either). That's pretty much all i've said on the subject. I dont think i've really expressed much on this forum whether i believe or disbelieve in climate change itself.

@JMP, guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

As for the solution to climate change, a microscopic virus seems to be on it's way to sorting out the earths problem dispite us humans :p

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
@Calaber, you do realise politicians from all sides have speach writers and support from the big end of town... And politicians get to where they are because others believe in them or their cause. So, it shouldn't be a surprise that Gretta has attracted supporters, funds and advisers, being that many believe in the issue as she does... But such things shouldn't detract from the message that she's pushing...

If you don't believe in her ideas, fight them with facts rather than with personal attacks and violence (not saying you have done either). That's pretty much all i've said on the subject. I dont think i've really expressed much on this forum whether i believe or disbelieve in climate change itself.

@JMP, guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

As for the solution to climate change, a microscopic virus seems to be on it's way to sorting out the earths problem dispite us humans :p
I'm not about to find facts to dispute her views. I don't agree with some of her statements and that's my opinion nothing more. Those of you who are committed to climate change tend to be intolerant of those who don't share a similar commitment. We get called deniers, which is entirely wrong in many cases. A lot of people like me accept that climate is changing but in my case, I'm not convinced we aren't going through an extraordinary period od climate adjustment as the climate has done before during recorded history. I'm not interested in the subject enough to read reports from scientists. I have a wide range of reading interests but climate is not amongst them. I'm prepared to go with the flow because my personal views won't be worth a bumper.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
A lot of politicians are puppets also and Julia Gillard is one recent one that was obvious, she was controlled by the faceless labor powerbrokers which used her up then turned on her when she became worthless to the cause but that's another conversation I'm not interested in getting into. In regards to Greta, it's hard to take someone seriously when they don't fully live what they preach. She sailed in solar powered yacht claiming it was a carbon neutral trip as one of her demonstrations, well what about the crew that flew to New York to sail it back? It's not so carbon neutral in the end as people had to fly out to retrieve the damn thing, how did she get home? Many more things happened from that demonstration that were not carbon neutral so she would have caused less damage to the environment staying home doing nothing. I don't knock people for demonstrations and standing up for what they believe in but if you promote action against global warming then don't contribute to it in the way you live, that is hypocrisy and if you want to have your say then be able to answer questions in regards to what you are preaching. Again I don't knock the girl but I dislike the people behind her that are using her.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Those of you who are committed to climate change tend to be intolerant ....
As I said, I don't think i've really expressed much on this forum whether i believe or disbelieve in climate change solutions. I think those of you is an inaccurate characterisation of me :p

The fact I don’t like personal attacks when discussing things, especially things based on science, is not related to the global warming issue itself. My dislike is based on how i prefer people discuss stuff ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm not about to find facts to dispute her views. I don't agree with some of her statements and that's my opinion nothing more. Those of you who are committed to climate change tend to be intolerant of those who don't share a similar commitment. We get called deniers, which is entirely wrong in many cases. A lot of people like me accept that climate is changing but in my case, I'm not convinced we aren't going through an extraordinary period od climate adjustment as the climate has done before during recorded history. I'm not interested in the subject enough to read reports from scientists. I have a wide range of reading interests but climate is not amongst them. I'm prepared to go with the flow because my personal views won't be worth a bumper.

I guess in many ways I feel like you. I too agree that climate change is part of the earths cycle but I'm also of the firm belief that humanity has had some impact, how much of an impact is hard to say. What I do believe is that the science is there to prove that on current trends life on this planet is going to get a lot more difficult for future generations if we do nothing and as things stand today, we only have this one planet to survive upon (unless Musk occupies Mars).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not about to find facts to dispute her views. I don't agree with some of her statements and that's my opinion nothing more...
I guess in many ways I feel like you. I too agree that climate change is part of the earths cycle but I'm also of the firm belief that humanity has had some impact...
Having an opinion is all well and good but an opinion based on facts can be discussed... an opinion based on belief is much like a religion and can’t be discussed.

How many wars have been fought because someone’s imaginary god was the true god and the other groups imaginary god was the false god and therefore blasphemy :eek:

Opinions need to be based on more than belief if people want to discuss them :rolleyes: