Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ANCAP ratings

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
After seeing the ad on TV recently showing the collision between a 98 Corolla and the 2015 model, which is used to demonstrate the increased safety of modern cars, I started to think about how cars are rated as years progress under ANCAP.

The highest rating is five stars, but cars have been getting 5 stars as the top rating for years. Even my 2015 Captiva gets 5 stars, but I bet it wouldn't rate that highly if it was assessed against current standards and this is why I believe the current system is flawed.

IMO, the rating system should extend beyond 5, with no upper limit. A 2015 model with 5 stars sounds OK, but if, for example, a 2019 model attained 8 stars, that would put things into perspective and enable buyers to see for themselves how safe a two or three year old car, that once rated highly, really compares to a new car with improved safety. The current system can be very misleading and older, 5 star cars could in fact be much less safe by comparison than the ratings suggest.

Comments?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Agree that the current system is farked and misleading.
The current Mustang scored 2 or 3, and got canned for that. But, I would bet that it is structurally better than a 5 star, 15 year old car that was initially designed in 1995.
The extra stars are now awarded for having driver aid gizmos, but I got criticised for disagreeing with their dubious 'advantages'.
I would like to see a 'star' rating for structural integrity,
a 'star' rating for primary safety, (brakes, steering etc),
a 'star' for essential secondary safety (seatbelts/air bags,)
a 'star' rating for distracting bells, chimes and lights.
But, all that may be all too hard and confusing for those whose primary driving purpose is to look at their social media and infotainment screen.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
All I see is increasingly loud, foul language. This tool is hopelessly over-opinionated.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah I refuse to watch anything by that clown. Has his head up his ass the whole time it seems.