Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

... And now, Blaupunkt Aux Input! (VY/VZ)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Ummmmm..... There's a small problem. Well, for those who are using or intend to use the phone input anyhow....

The phone input works perfectly when you have the CD or Radio selected as the source, but I'm afraid if you have the Aux button pressed the two signals are mixed together. You can still hear the phone, but over the top of the MP3 player. :embarrass

And I thought I had it by the short-n-curlies, too! :ranting:

Back to the drawing board - I think I should be able to overcome this, but it will mean a slight re-design.

Updates as they happen folks. Cheerz!

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Just the MP3 in please...

Phreddy,
Do you intend to offer a way to just do the AUX in? I'm really not interested in low-level out or phone in etc, so if you can help with just the basics that would be great. I can make the mod easy enough - I did the mod by the Lug easy enough myself, but I'd really like things to be more elegant like your setup.
Cheers,
Greenbeam.

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I'm very interested in this. Just out of curiousity, how have you done it?

I originally did the phone input trick, worked ok but sounded **** so I binned that idea.

Then i went to the audio injection trick from the ls1gto forums (http://www.thelug.com/radio/gtoradio.html) which works a treat (still using it that way), but the only downside is I need a blank cd in the drive to activate it (it's not as bad as it seems as I burnt a full audio cd as blank and just leave that in, why swap cd's when you have an mp3 player). Apart from that it works fine. BTW i haven't tested the phone while using this (i don't use a car kit), but I'm guessing it has the same problem and plays them both over the top of each other, unless the audio is muted after it is injected. Need to test this...

Is your idea a variation on the injection trick that uses a PCB to activate and switch between CD/Aux or is it done through some other method?

But either way, nice work. If you want to sell me a kit or just the instructions I would be more than willing to snap this little beauty up.

Last edited:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hi All.

Greenbeam - sure Mate, can just do the Aux in, or the low level out, or both. The same connector scheme on the cradle is used, it just depends on which pins are actually connected. The actual circuit boards inside the unit are separate, so it's entirely up the the individual.

Rowen - you've pretty much got it right there. Because my method actually switches over the audio path you don't need a blank CD - in fact, I would even recommend to folks to run the radio while listening to the Aux source - why wear out your CD player while you're not listening to it?? :D (I included a bit of circuitry to inhibit the antenna control, so when the Aux is selected the antenna goes back down - well, if it's an auto antenna anyhow.) I would think the injection point is pretty much the same as Lug's, but as you suggested the circuit functions as a "change over switch". The switching is done electronically though, to minimise wiring and the chance of stray noise pickup.

To both you fellas, if you've done Lug's mod successfully, you shouldn't have any problem doing this one. It is a little more involved, as there are modifications to the cradle to be done as well, but the advantage is that it ends up looking pretty neat and the unit still slides in and out the way it always has. Most people would be flat out picking it from stock.

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
OK, sign me up then Phreddy...

How hard are the components to obtain or are you selling complete assembled/unassembled kits? My preferred way would just be to purchase the pcb layout diagrams, the schematics and component lists then I get the fun of building it :yeah:

vzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Down to earth Phreddy

I was starting to worry about you Phreddy. All your plotting and scheming was going so well, nice to see that you are human. :)
Just as well I have no friends and nobody ever rings me. Really I can't see many people wanting to use the RCA, AUX and the phone connection, no wonder the radio gets confused :hit:
I am going to build the AUX board this weekend I was waiting but I saw that the AUX board is separate so I will continue.
Cheers, Steve

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
G'Day All.

Well, in between chasing my boys around, doing a dash conversion, and chatting to a lovely bloke about doing the system in his CV8-R (I CAN'T WAIT! :D), I also managed to give some thought to the muting problem with the phone - and I have a strong feeling I've got it. I need to do a slight mod to the board fitted to mine, which I'll do tonight, and I'll let y'all know.

(this is to overcome the problem of the Aux In music not being muted when a phone call comes in - in the previous post I mentioned that the normal source was muted OK, but when the Aux In was selected the phone audio AND the Aux audio were mixed)

Anyhow, watch this space. Revision 2.1 test report to follow. ;)

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

PS - Steve - in your case it's only the output connector arrangement which differs, yes the Aux In is a separate PCB which you can add later. So yes, make a start on the buffer board. We'll talk some more soon.

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Phreddy: Awesome stuff mate! What's the cradle you're talking about? Is it for a phone kit? Any chance of getting a copy of the schematic off ya? Would love to build this one, so much better than running the blank CD idea!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks Wal - the cradle I refer to is the actual steel frame the head unit slides into.

I'm not sure if you've seen the scheme with the Blaupunkt system - the wiring harness connectors remain hard mounted in a "cradle", and the unit itself slides out of this when some locking clips are disengaged. One of the main crtieria in my design was to retain this, without having bodgey looking cables which would need taming any time the unit needed to be removed. (which - let's face it - shouldn't really be too often anyway! Ah well, I guess I'm just pedantic...) ;)

Hope that answers your question....

Cheerz!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
pedantic? Nah, just an ever fiddling old fart...