Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Android Auto / Carplay addon

grundybin

Reaction score
Website
elektron.host.sk
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 Wagon
Had it done on my VF series 2 for carplay a couple of months ago. It isn't perfect, its basically an android box running a VM for carplay.

Comes on when the car starts, goes off when the car goes off, you have to acknowledge a USB warnings on the Android interface before it will work each time you start the car. Despite trying to get rid of that warning I've been unsuccessful

Even though carplay is connected via USB, phone is still connected to the car via mylink bluetooth (I really dont know what they reckon they did getting a bluetooth device for their unit), which means when song changes through steering wheel that are controlled by mylink feel as if its all integrated which is a plus.

They install a separate mic for audio in the upper right corner of windscreen and they disconnect middle speaker and connect the middle speaker for siri (siri has her own speaker, which is also used for voice guidance). They install a USB port beside the front cig-lighter plug (the one located under the mylink screen)

When answering a phone call, the call will answer in carplay (either from the touch screen or the answer button on steering will), other persons voice will cut out for about 4 seconds as mylink steals the audio back but they can still hear you speak.. (interface doesn't show this happening) but you can hear the call going from the siri speaker to the other speakers when mylink takes control of the call.

You can swap between mylink and android/carplay with 2 ways, double pressing the mute button on steering wheel (which would disconnect an active call) or press and hold the left edge of the mylink screen for a second and it will transition (good if you're on a call).

It isn't perfect but I do use it every day for the up to date maps app, podcasts, music etc... And for short trips where I don't plug it in to carplay it works normally with mylink. If you dont use the carplay (by plugging in the USB port) everything just works as if it was never there.

Would I still do it again? Yes, because I wanted apple maps live traffic. But it would've been nice to know the little 'side affects' you live with when using it up front.

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
Had it done on my VF series 2 for carplay a couple of months ago. It isn't perfect, its basically an android box running a VM for carplay.

Comes on when the car starts, goes off when the car goes off, you have to acknowledge a USB warnings on the Android interface before it will work each time you start the car. Despite trying to get rid of that warning I've been unsuccessful

Even though carplay is connected via USB, phone is still connected to the car via mylink bluetooth (I really dont know what they reckon they did getting a bluetooth device for their unit), which means when song changes through steering wheel that are controlled by mylink feel as if its all integrated which is a plus.

They install a separate mic for audio in the upper right corner of windscreen and they disconnect middle speaker and connect the middle speaker for siri (siri has her own speaker, which is also used for voice guidance). They install a USB port beside the front cig-lighter plug (the one located under the mylink screen)

When answering a phone call, the call will answer in carplay (either from the touch screen or the answer button on steering will), other persons voice will cut out for about 4 seconds as mylink steals the audio back but they can still hear you speak.. (interface doesn't show this happening) but you can hear the call going from the siri speaker to the other speakers when mylink takes control of the call.

You can swap between mylink and android/carplay with 2 ways, double pressing the mute button on steering wheel (which would disconnect an active call) or press and hold the left edge of the mylink screen for a second and it will transition (good if you're on a call).

It isn't perfect but I do use it every day for the up to date maps app, podcasts, music etc... And for short trips where I don't plug it in to carplay it works normally with mylink. If you dont use the carplay (by plugging in the USB port) everything just works as if it was never there.

Would I still do it again? Yes, because I wanted apple maps live traffic. But it would've been nice to know the little 'side affects' you live with when using it up front.
Good to know, thanks for the info.

dirtydom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV Redline S'Wagon

Hey, Thanks for the information...

I am currently looking at a Naviplus option and was wondering if that was what you had?

Also where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Thanks,

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sounds rough, what's the benefit of having this over mylink? Just better mapping?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
For me, it would be newer maps (dealer couldn't manage to take my money to install the 2016-spec maps last week so we're probably going to have 2012 maps forever now) & the ability to keep installing up to date maps (including not needing a dealer to break your car to install newer maps).

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
For me, it would be newer maps (dealer couldn't manage to take my money to install the 2016-spec maps last week so we're probably going to have 2012 maps forever now) & the ability to keep installing up to date maps (including not needing a dealer to break your car to install newer maps).
They do like bending the console lid way too far back and break the clips. I've had that done already,.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Does anyone have the new Alpine Carplay unit yet? Seriously tempted, they have a version with embedded nav for ~$3500 or one without for ~$2500.

https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/perfect-fit-solutions/holden/vf-commodore/9-audio-visual-i902d-vf/

Anyone have any i902d experiences from other models? I know they do that model for a lot of VW's.
I cant see the point of paying an extra grand for the maps when you can use Maps and Waze through AA/AC . I'm quite happy with the Halo9 for another grand less . The only thing that woulda got me to upgrade to this model apart from the fact it looks more factory would be if they had made AA wireless or atleast I don't think it is . Your post prompted me to look into wireless hacks for existing AA head units of which I found this https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...droid-3-0-proxy-gateway-android-auto-t3813163 , I'm interested in trying the Android tv stick route as they are relatively cheap maybe @stooge could shed some light on the chances of this being an option

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I didn't even consider the Halo unit as I don't want what is effectively a silly looking tablet hanging out of the dash. I could do that cheaper still with an iPad.