Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Android Auto / Carplay addon

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the i902D-VF looks to be a complete mylink replacement sort of like the kayhan one but not as crap going by its price.

that tv stick post on xda from what i gather it is a "hack" for a headunit that has android auto on it so it would not work on the factory mylink in the vf.

android auto is crap imo because it is a restricted setup designed to not give the driver distractions and the list of apps available will have to meet certain requirements set by google much in the same way they have them for android tv which i had a back and forth flustercuck with them lol.
if you can get a system with the ability to access both the android os and the auto it will be a win win.

if you are not ready to drop $2600 on the alpine one envyous has the kit to put android auto into the mylink for $1000.
i do not know if you can access the android os on it and it is a far better option to that kayhan unit

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Everything I hear about the third party Mylink addons is that they "kind of" work and aren't really all that great. Honestly I'd rather drop $1000 on the pokies because it's probably about as much of a gamble as a half-arsed third party addition.

I don't mind dropping the money on the Alpine (I can buy trade so it's not quite as hefty) assuming it drops in and everything just works with factory mic etc but if someone else has used one some feedback would be good.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Everything I hear about the third party Mylink addons is that they "kind of" work and aren't really all that great.

same here as a lot of the early attempts at it used really crappy hardware for the android box.

i do not know what the envyous customs one is like so i cant comment on that but he is a member here so he could shed some light on the hardware used etc.

i bought that kayhan one and well that was sort of ok but had its issues and the glare on the screen combined with its lack of brightness was a deal breaker as it made the unit useless when the sun was reflecting off objects inside the vehicle.
what ever people do not get the kayhan one unless you like being disappointed lol

oms

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 CalaisV LS3
For those with the Alpine 902d units, can you provide your feedback?

Seriously looking at getting it installed (im planning to keep the car for a long while so I want to make sure it's in before production ends on the Alpine unit which is likely to be quite soon) and am interested in real world use of the system. is it laggy? are all factory options carried over? What do i lose?

Can you recommend a good installer in Sydney?

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
For those with the Alpine 902d units, can you provide your feedback?

Seriously looking at getting it installed (im planning to keep the car for a long while so I want to make sure it's in before production ends on the Alpine unit which is likely to be quite soon) and am interested in real world use of the system. is it laggy? are all factory options carried over? What do i lose?

Can you recommend a good installer in Sydney?

I'm in the same boat. Keen to get some feedback.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Edit: wrong addon, disregard.

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Still waiting on Alpine's new unit to appear. Its been a helluva wait. I hope its not a floating design, as it won't be an option for me. Alpines at least on the go, as I see they have released/resurrected an F1 Status package, which unless I'm missing something, must be the most bizzare piece of kit I ever did see. Consisting of headunit, music player, audio processor, 4x100w amp and a tweeter,mid, woofer and sub, but wait for it...it must be bought as a package??? Marketing madness! Unless there's a crossover for the front 3, how does one power this all inclusive package with whats provided. Even active if two amps are provided, is only 100w to a 300w rms sub. What am I, or Alpine missing here?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm not going to pretend I know, but some amps have inbuilt crossovers. Traditionally they weren't that good, but from a technical viewpoint they don't have to be bad. Again without actually knowing this I'm gonna make a statement; no way a company like Alpine is going to be sending the full range of frequencies to a tweeter or a woofer as part of a package (having said that - if it's part of a package maybe the frequency filter can be part of the mid, tweeter & woofer?) (most likely though is the package is a bunch of components they already sell & the description of the package is missing stuff).

Last edited: