Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Android Touch Screen Advice

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Hey Blokes

im looking for feedback/advice/ insight on aftermarket headunits because I have nfi where to start.

I got onto this company called Kayhan Audio (in melbourne) who sell kits for all different brands of cars. (Link to site: https://kayhanaudio.com.au/) I watched a video on youtube of bloke installing one into his Navara and was thinking of doing the same to mine. Im assuming these are just cheap units from overseas and rigged up to suit at a higher price.

Heres the specs:

Operating System Android 8.1 lightning fast CPU with 2.6 GHZ 8 core
Display Full HD 1080p MultiTouch Capacitive Screen
RAM 4 GB DDR4 Samsung Ram
Internal Storage 64 GB
USB Ports 2~3
Warranty 12 months replacement warranty
Sound 60X4 amplifier with DSP (Digital Sound Processor and Equaliser)
RCA 4 channel RCA out and 1 channel subwoofer out, 1 channel RCA in
Video Formats MP4, WMV, DVIX, MPEG4, AVI, MOV, MKV etc.
Image Formats JPEG, PNG, TIFF, BMP etc.
Audio Formats MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AC3 etc.
Accessories Supported DVR, DAB+, Reversing Camera, CarPlay, Front Camera
Supports 3G, 4G, WiFi , 4G SIM Card Reader

are these specs average, are they good? is there something I should be looking for, something I should staying away from?

heres the link that got me onto, i think it looks pretty sleek as a final product. only thing i dont like is the screen doesnt dull down automatically when the headlights are on.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Whats your budget and what are your must have's for the unit?

I've heard a lot of good things about those units, but I've also heard a lot of bad stories about their lack of customer service when things go wrong. No firsthand experiences though. Also to note quite a lot of units dim based on the time rather than being triggered by the switch, not sure if this does too but some do.

I've got a Kenwood DDX9017DABS in my Maloo and it has everything I need and more: Android auto/Apple carplay, wireless mirroring, Digital radio (not that I use it) and a static touchscreen which is like your phone rather than the older resistive touchscreen. I bought it in 2017 when it was the current model and static touchscreens were still new in consumer car audio, it was around $1200 at the time and still really happy with my purchase.

So fast forward to two weeks ago and I bought my F150 and needed a headunit. I only really had 2 requirements for this and it was a static touchscreen and android auto, also a reputable brand and cheapish. So I ended up with the JVC KW-M745DBT, got it on special through supercheap for $450 which I was pretty happy with. Haven't installed it yet, but having been happy with the interface on the Kenwood unit in the Maloo I'd say the JVC will be quite similar.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
I haven't had experience with Kayhan Audio but I bout a similar "Joying" android 10inch screen unit for my vz wagon. I'm guessing most of these android units are made in china or Korea. My unit from the start seemed pretty good, did alot of things being android. I would load movies or tv shows on a usb stick and you could watch on the massive 10 inch screen. Steering wheel controls worked great, sound quality was fine, had gps antenna for maps.
After a year or so most of the touch screen stopped working but the unit still worked, had a couple of glitches every now and again but overall it worked fine.

If you are looking at their 7 inch unit i would look at an Apline 7 inch unit with a dash kit instead.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Have a read of @stooge 's thread HERE.....

TL;DR..... not impressed with the Kayhan unit.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I've got one. Few things to note.

1: Kayhan, Dig, Brash and pretty much all the other guys use the same units which come from the same OEM in China. They're also known as a PX6, and feature similar hardware to conventional eBay Spec Android units. They just have a Gmlan signal interpreter which injects code into your cars low speed network to control the HVAC and enable steering wheel controls.

2: The all touch screen ones are absolute dogshit. You'll miss tactile controls pretty much immediately. Yeah, sure. 11in touch screen sounds cool, but the more screen you add, the laggier and buggier it is.

I've got one of these guys and I love it. Used it to replace a busted unit with a broken aux jack.

https://www.digoptions.com.au/android-gps-for-holden-commodore-ve-series-1-nav-b

3: sound out of the factory outs is piss weak. Use the RCAs. I've paired mine with a Sony 4ch compact amp. Does the job just nicely!

4: add a 4G wireless hotspot to the cost of your device if you want to use Google Maps. Also, headunit reloaded (which is an app which allows Android head units to interface with Android Auto) is worth it's weight In gold.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
I really appreciate all the advice boys - after reading that thread i think ill give it a miss, it seems like there is a lot of issues and little glitches and to make someone pull the unit out, i think its safe to say it isn't worth the thousand dollar price tag.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Just to add, if you do go for JVC or Kenwood their customer service is based in Aus and really easy to deal with.
Have just been dealing with them about an older unit (DMX7017BTS) that's become locked as there is somehow a code on it (came with the car and then have since upgraded to one that had digital radio). Very helpful.

It also depends on what phone you have.
Have the DDX9019DABS in one car and it is really easy to sync up with the phone and use it via AndroidAuto.
Used it for maps and navigation and also for handsfree which both are wonderful for work reasons.
Haven't had much experience with CarPlay though if you are an apple user.

I think your best option would be, to go into a few auto places, see what ones you like and then see how they go with linking up to your phone and if you feel they are what you are looking for.

Cheap units can be good though, a mates getting one of those $80 specials soon just so a car has a stereo in it, so once its in can probably let you know what its like. But if spending some bigger dollars it is hard to go past ones which are known names.