Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying High Idle issue

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
Hi All,
I own a MY09 V8 Calais V 60th Anniversary sedan. Lately I have been experiencing a high idle when driving the car. I notice it when say stopped at a set of lights and the car is still in 'Drive'... It feels like the car wants to go and I notice the Inst Fuel sitting at 2.8 and then fluctuate to 3.4, 3.7. The sound of the engine sounds like Im holding the brake and lighly resting my foot on the pedal... Sorry its hard to explain. Its not the normal creep you get in an automatic, its like it wants to go...

Sometimes I can go a week without it doing it and then all of a sudden I go start the car and it starts doing it... Sometimes its stops by itself but very rarely... Normally I have to turn the car off....wait... and then start it again and then its fine.

Anyone else had this issue or experiencing it at the moment? Just wondering if anyone knows of a fix.

My dealer is trying to solve it but has already replaced the Throttle Position sensor and checked with the Tech II but the issue never seems to do it when its at the dealership so its hard to catch...

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
itll be one of those things, try and get it to them at the time its doing it, and when you get there, park near the workshop and leave it running

burgo45d

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V Ute
sounds like the computer has an issue. go to holden they will run their software through it and check everythin and hopefully fix it ;)

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
The idle,gear changes fuel etc. is all controlled by the cars computer.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
sounds like the computer has an issue. go to holden they will run their software through it and check everythin and hopefully fix it ;)

This is true, only if the car is faulting, and even then it doesnt give us a clear image of what it can be, it needs to be traced and usually ends up with the directions telling us to replace this or that, so its not as easy as take it there and they will fix it,
But yes when it does play up take it to ur closest holden dealer n DONT turn the car off, gives us a better chance to find the problem

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
This is true, only if the car is faulting, and even then it doesnt give us a clear image of what it can be, it needs to be traced and usually ends up with the directions telling us to replace this or that, so its not as easy as take it there and they will fix it,
But yes when it does play up take it to ur closest holden dealer n DONT turn the car off, gives us a better chance to find the problem

Hi Nick...
Yes thats what the service has told me... What annoys me is that the car never wants to do it when Im near the dealer. It did it once and I went there but the service guy turned the car off... and when he turned it back on it was ok... But the service manager told him he should not have done that as he should have used the Tech II to scan for the issue. I have been told they have done a idle relearn, crank angle reset?? Replaced the TPS... I think they also replaced the PCM module as well?

But every now and then the car faults and its annoying as it feels like it wants to rev and have to hold the brake petal down hard to I dont race off.

Sometimes it does it from the first start of the car of the day... Its like it stuck in cold start mode or something. Then other time and more commonly it will do it say after I have already been driving and stop for a few mins and then start again. It will then start doing it...

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
I havnt seen anything with that issue yet, but definatley sounds like something isnt closing or opening properly or something in the ECU is faulty, so i cant help you to much there, but just keep trying different ways to get it to fault and try and note down what you have been doing before it faulted, ie; how long it was left to sit for, how it was driven, how long it was driven.
it makes it alot easier for us technicians when we have as much info as possible

Nick

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
sorry to dig up an old thread, but im having this exact same problem, on cold start it will rev up to 1500 then drop to 900 and sit there for about 30 seconds then drop to 600 and stay there, when I put it in drive it will idle for about 10 seconds then it feels like ive got my foot lightly on the accelerator peddle, also when coming down from anything over 50ks it will hold speed at 50ks, so for example im doing 80k then slow down to 45ks then car will then speed up to 50ks and stay there even of cruise control is turned off, if the OP is still around did you find a fix? anyone else had the same issues and what did you find? Thanks in advance