Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying knock knock

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
hey all. Need some advice. My vy has developed a knock coming from the front left hand tyre region. Its speed related, as in it changes frequency with my speed. It is a constant knock and sounds like its at the same point in the revolution of the tyre. It only happens after around 50kmh. It almost sounds like the tyre has a bulge in it. If im going around a left hand bend at a speed of 60 or higher, it will disappear until i straighten out. Any ideas. Its been there for a while so i know its not bearings. Just looking for ideas of what it could be.

It has started after i had to slam on my brakes to avoid running up the ass of a dumb ass who pulled out in front of me on the highway.

Thanks. Look forward to your ideas.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Flat spot in the tyre maybe. Swap the tyres around and see if the noise moves or goes away.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yip sounds like a flat spot on the tyre, put that tyre on the back and do a burnout to scrub it off lol

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, nope. On my third tyre on that side. Put my spare on at a truck stop after it started making a noise. Made no difference. And the intensity changes daily. One day it can be barely noticable. Other days its loud as hell. Can feel it thru peddles, body and steering wheel.

Ill see if i cant get a recording of it on my drive home tonight.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
I dont know. Couple of years. Could bad wheel allignment cause this? Could it also cause the tyre to wear completely flat and evenly to the point where they look like slicks?

Last edited:

jhvh777

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy storm ute
Maybe have a look at your brake rotor and pads see if something is going on there.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Maybe have a look at your brake rotor and pads see if something is going on there.

I agree with the above, maybe the slides in the caliper need cleaning and freeing up, might be the pad knocking if it is not releasing properly.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Have you removed the wheel and checked all bolts on that side, including, but not limited to, caliper bolts, also wheel bearing, also link pins, also abs sensor, etc etc

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
My next thing to look at would be the rotors. Pull the wheel off and spin the rotor slowly, if it's warped, you will feel it grab.