Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying knock knock

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Thanks for the input guys. I pulled the wheel off today to have a poke around. Pulled the calliper off because the sound had changed to sound more like metal on metal like a worn down pad. Turned out they were fine. 5mm+ of pad left on both front and back sides. Next i spun the rotor and whallah. Noise was there plain as day. Both directions. So it looks like the bearing has crapped out on me.

Now, ive priced up a new hub assy. My question now is can anyone link me to a how-to on swapping that assembly over? Gonna grab a new one tomorrow and put it in. As its my daily (and only) car, i need it back up and running before lunch time friday

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok. So some good news and bad news. The good news is my pay went in early so i ducked down to get the hub assembly. Got the old one out without much hassle (gave it some encouragement thru the allen socket and bolts). Cleaned up all surfaces with a wirebrush. Put the new hub in. Bolted it down with threadlocker on each bolt.

Now the bad news. I seem to have maybe sorta kinda stripped out the thread on the top calliper bolt.

So now the ultimate question. Can this be repaired? Guessing not as its a high torque setup. If not, will the steering assembly from a vr fit into a vy? I have my old vr sitting unlicenced and this job has cost me enough as it is. If the answer is no, then ill just have to see if i can get an assembly from the wreckers or something.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also can someone enlighten me as to the correct name for the assembly that the hub and calliper bolts on to?

H

harrop.senator

Bolts on to the lower control Arm Champ.
Heli coil should be more then fine on the caliper thread if its good enough for head bolts id give it a go on the brakes.

From memory ball joint tapers different on vr.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers man. I meant the steering knuckle. Found the answer by calling holden. Ended up visiting my local car graveyard. For $45 i got a whole knuckle assembly plus bearing. Swapped that one out for my new bearing just because i had it there and dont want to do this again for a while. The biggest piss off was the tapered lower control arm bolt. Was alright taking the knuckle off. Couple whacks with the mallet. But getting it back in was a nightmare. But she is all back together now. Just took it for a burn lap around the block to test. Quiet as a sleeping baby. No noise. No knock. And the braking knock i had before all this has gone too.