Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying moaning noise from engine

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Seems like it is the a/c that is causing the problem. When I turn it on 90% of the moaning stops. However the tensioner pulley is really loose and clicks when I spin it (with the belt off) so I reckon that's on the way out too.

I presume I would have to take the A/C pump off to change the bearing? And re-gas the system etc? :bang:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
definitly sounds like the bearing in the tensioner pulley is failing, if there is any movement in it at all it needs replacement. same goes for the water pump. do you run coolant(glycol/antifreeze etc) in it or straight water. Holden recommend putting a couple of pallets into the cooling system every time you clean/change the coolant, they are there to lubricate the water pump

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I use coolant in it but have never put any pellets in it, never even seen them on sale, where do you get them from?

Going to change the pulley today as they are cheap and it needs replacement but still think the main problem is in the A/C bearing. It looks tricky to take off so I might have to get someone to do it for me!

mutley770

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Berlina Series II
same here on the water pump. I thought it was power steer and the A/C compressor, but nope the water pump had crapped itself. It sounded almost like it had a supercharger, but then it got really really bad LOL.

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Ha ha today I thought somebody was beeping a horn at me it made such a weird noise when the car dropped down a gear!

Changed the tensioner pulley today, didn't make much of a difference, it's defo the A/C, I'm off to the A/C forum.

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
sounds like water pump mate, when my bearing failed it sounded like a truck mate, my perants come running out askin what did i do to the car!!!!

change water pump there cheap as ur dinner these days and see hwo u go

cheers