Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying moaning noise from engine

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
My VN is making an incredibly annoying moaning noise, it has been getting worse and worse for the last few months. It's so bad now that people can recognize the sound of my car coming.

Seems to be coming from around the power steering pump however I changed the pump about 9 months ago and keep the fluid well topped up. Are there any other likely culprits on the VN engine?

Paddy

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Any way to diagnose it? Would it be safe to run the engine for 5 seconds with the accessories belt off to see if it still whines?

I'm worried it's the harmonic balancer, looks a bit shaky!

I think the problem started after I flushed the cooling system....

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
prob be your water pump then take the belt off and turn it over and have a listen, not for 2 long though and make sure the car is cold.

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Thanks will give that a go tomorrow, it's got to the point now where the moaning noise is louder than the engine!

I'm worried it's going to seize up soon!

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
It could also be one of the serpentine belt tensioner or idler pulley bearings. If you have a long piece of steel or wood such as a piece of dowel and you are careful you can place one end onto each item ie centre bolt of an idler while the engine is running. Hold your ear to the other end and you should be able to hear the offending item - include the water pump housing in your listening test and alternator. On my VS its the tensioner pulley bearing which I'm about to replace. Mine had a moaning noise when you rev the engine slightly. I had this vehicle in at a Holden dealer a while ago to have the idler pulleys done and they did just one (havent all the other idlers done the same number of hours running?).

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
If the tensioner bearing was on its way out, it would've made high squealling noise, as it'll get worse when the revs goes up, is the exhaust touching anything? or only occurs on idle or anytime?
Cheers
AP

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Haven't had a chance to try Don's idea yet but will during the weekend.

It's defo not high pitch, it a low pitch moaning. Increases with revs so even cruising on the freeway can can hear it very loud in the car.

Noticed today that the tensioner pulley is quite lose and also the water pump hub has a bit of play in it, can tilt it quite easily with hands.

Not sure about the exhaust will check tomorrow but don't think it's touching anything.
Paddy

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
definantly water pump it started after u flushed the cooling system and its got play in it

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
If the tensioner bearing was on its way out, it would've made high squealling noise, as it'll get worse when the revs goes up, is the exhaust touching anything? or only occurs on idle or anytime?
Cheers
AP

The tensioner bearing definately makes a moaning noise on my VS. You can see fine rust between the moving and stationary parts of the pulley. It can be heard quite plainly by using a long screwdriver on the centre bolt and the handle to my ear. As I slightly rev the car it gets worse but can sometimes stop making a noise once over 2500rpm. I suspect mine is in the early stages. The airconditioner hub bearing is also a source of a similar noise and its very easy to check you just turn on the A/C and as soon as the compressor cuts in the noise stops.