Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

annoying repititive knocking in driveline

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Clubsport R8 317/ VT Commodore exec 5 SPD
G'day guys
As the titles states ive got a headache of a repetitive thud coming from the driveline ONLY when im coasting. only occurs at low rpm in every gear. as soon as im on the gas again the car is smooth, relatively. Now ive stuck my head under and dropped the diff to get the backlash re set and was told the diff is in good working order. ive mucked around with the uni joint (diff end) and there didnt seem to be any play. i dont know how to test the centre bearing and there doesnt seem to be any play in the coupler that joins the transmission and tailshaft. im dreading its a transmission internal thats the issue...
Does anyone have any ideas??? its driving me crazy coming to a set of red lights and looking as though my car is getting kicked in the ass 6 times before i actually stop

Its a vt exec with an L67 bolted to a getrag 5 spd...

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I had the same kind of thing in my SS, changed diff oil and all noises are gone.

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
would diff oil fix this? its a pretty severe clunk and feels a like metal slapping metal sensation throughout the tailshaft. i put a new batch of oil in yesterday when my backlash was reset, it was that heavy duty LSD nulon stuff and didnt change anything...

Last edited:

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
also using too heavy diff oil can make it (diff) noisy as it struggles through it.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Pretty easy to test the center bearing. Grab the two ends of the center bearing and try to rotate each end in the opposite direction (twisting it). It should not twist. Think of it like if you want to rinse/squeeze water out of a towel. If there is any play or twisting then your center bearing is bad.

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the help blokes, i changed the transmission fluid and put some of that penrite lubrizol stuff in also and i made a bit of a difference, the knocking still happens when im coasting but its definately not as severe. Supercheap can get a centre bearing in for $30, will change it as soon as i get a chance.