Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

annoying right hand knock under acceleration/left hand turns

coiloVYer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.6 Manual
has been happening for a while, i dont know enough about cars to diagnose the problem myself.

my first thought was my coilover had **** itself, but it doesnt happen under load or bumps just turning left or sharp acceleration.
recently replaced the CV's as i thought they where the problem as the right one was leaking a little. but still happening.

any advice apricated

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Are they cheap and nasty coilovers or something decent? Sounds like they could be loose, or a very worn bush, engine, or transmission mount.

coiloVYer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.6 Manual
Are they cheap and nasty coilovers or something decent? Sounds like they could be loose, or a very worn bush, engine, or transmission mount.

these are the coil overs. so not great but better than ebay
http://shop.pedders.com.au/pedders-...3.1012887345.1611403442-1593642552.1611403442

the sound defiantly sounds like its coming from the rear right hand side.
so i dont think it would be engine or trans mount i replaced them about 40XXX ago,
i thought if it was the coilover it would happen under compression like me pushing down on the boot.
tends to happen on left hand turns and sharp acceleration

what very warn bush should i be looking for?

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Double check your engine mounts.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Peddlers stuff should be fine. I was thinking more the front bushes as they usually flog out first. But if it's coming from the back it could be a trailing arm, diff mount, lots of things. Check all the bolts you can see are tight to start with.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
With the transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL and the handbrake firmly applied, lift the bonnet and have an assistant start the engine and give it a few sharp revs. Watch to see if the engine is trying to jump out of the engine bay and/or if the noise occurs with the car stationary.
Don't stand in front of the car whilst performing this test.

coiloVYer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.6 Manual
With the transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL and the handbrake firmly applied, lift the bonnet and have an assistant start the engine and give it a few sharp revs. Watch to see if the engine is trying to jump out of the engine bay and/or if the noise occurs with the car stationary.
Don't stand in front of the car whilst performing this test.
its a manual and no the engine moves about 10mm to the right under a sharp rev but no clunking or knocking sound its defiantly coming from the rear
Peddlers stuff should be fine. I was thinking more the front bushes as they usually flog out first. But if it's coming from the back it could be a trailing arm, diff mount, lots of things. Check all the bolts you can see are tight to start with.
im going to have to get some wheel stands/jack stands to give these all a check as i dont trust my trolley jack alone to get right under the rear end and start reefing on bolts, i think its likely to be a really warn bush of some sort.