Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying vx noise problem

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
Have an annoying noise coming from 1 of my front wheels of my vx ss as i take off it sounds like it scrubs at a certain point in the revolution while driving it makes a very annoying sound similar to a washing machine on a spin cycle, it has gotten abit worse lately and ive had the wheel bearings checked they are fine, was told 1 of my front wheels was buckled so had them changed over today with a balance and wheel alignment, Put new brake pads on and machined rotors about 6 months ago, could this annoying wabble sound be caused by awarped rotor? any advice would be apreciated as im at my witts end with this problem.
Cheers

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
I was going to say wheels bearings but you got them checked so yeah i would say your rotors are ####ed.you should have put this in the vx section it would have been picked up quicker.

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
thanx for the reply yea i got the rotors machined about 6 months ago now and thats when the noise started they slogged me a fair bit of coin if i remember rightly but everyone kept saying either wheel bearings or a warped rim and both of those have been discounted how much would it cost for the rotors? it might be both of them so how much would that set me back? also would the pads be too uneven

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Do you only get the noise on acceleration? Warped discs usually only make themselves obvious when you hit the brakes, when you will get a shudder through the steering wheel and vibrations through the brake pedal and even then, they are not all that noisy. New discs are pretty cheap, around $50 each trade from Holden, a little bit more from Supercheap or Autobarn. They're so cheap these days that machining is a waste of money. Replace the pads at the same time. Check that the discs are not rubbing on the caliper bracket. If, as you say, the noise started when you had the discs machined, they might not have aligned everything properly on re-assembly and the tolerances are pretty close. Perhaps even something like a small stone has found it's way into the bracket and is rubbing on the disc.

What state are your tyres in - is there any sign of irregular wear or even something caught in one of the tyres that makes the noise as it hits the road? Try swapping the wheels front to back if you haven't done so already.

Are you certain that the noise is coming from the front wheels? Other areas to consider could be the tailshaft centre bearing, which is rubber mounted and can wear out, or even something rubbing on the tailshaft as it spins.

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
i seem to hear the noise at any speed over 40km but as i get going slowly moving forward i can hear a kssshhh kkkshh rubbing at a certain point, im sure it isnt the wheels or tyres as i have changed all 4 tires stil no change and also changed front to back still no change. ive also had an alignment and balance done. I initially got the work done 6 months ago because of a problem with hard brake shudder and bad steering wheel vibrations this is the work that was done 6 months ago from my reciept:

Car required replacing of front disk rotors and pads
inspect rotor thickness and found unservicable
car also required the replacing of right hand front stub axle-thread stripped (that axle thread was $190 fitted)

that fixed the brake shudder but then slowly after 2 months of havng this done i noticed this other wierd noise from the front. Also my tail shaft cv joints do make a "clunk" on takeoff but i dont think their resonsible for this.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
So they told you the rotor was to thin yet machined it? thats not good. get yourself some new rotors as calaber said with the price of rotors these days you may as well just buy brand new 1s.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
When they did the brakes did they check and lubricate the slide pins in the calipers, maybe the caliper is not releasing properly and you are hearing one of the pads rubbing against the rotor. If the caliper is sticking it will wear one of the pads more quickly than the other.