Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

annoyning rattle

geoffb57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS
have an annoying rattle in the back when i go over bumps.Told Holden about it at a recent service and they said i need a new boot floor @ $1,500 (not warranty) as the plastic bracket holding the spare wheel and jack was broken and this was the cause.

Took out the spare and jack etc but the rattle was still there.Took it back to Holden and the workshop manger came for a drive and said it was the exhaust causing the rattle which is a non standard 3" catback.

The local exhaust shop/mechanic had a look but couldn't find anything wrong with the exhaust.After a few drives around the block it seems to be comming from the head lining above the passenger seat.

If he sits in the back and holds the lining up we don't get the rattle.

Holden dealer had a 3rd party fit a sunroof before i bought it and wondering if this could be the problem although the rattle seems to be more towards the back.

probably have to battle more with Holden now but wondering what else could cause the head lining to rattle

Car is a VF2 SS 12/15 with 37k

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Oh dear......I love how Holden find all the non warranty items as the cause.
Go back to them and show them that holding the roof lining stops the rattle and tell them it's their problem to solve.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Is is caused by the rubber seal on top of the window. have a look at windscreen rattle on here.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Is the headlining clipped in at the rear where the brake light is?

geoffb57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS
thanks for your replies.Had another look at it today and can't see anything obviously wrong.Seems like there's some sort of a thin box type thing in the roof.Guess its where the sunroof fits into when it's open

will double check this is definatley the problem and start chasing Holden to fix it

rgds,

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Go back to the dealer who organised the sunroof install. The non sunroof headliner had to come out and swapped with a sunroof headliner or did the sunroof installer just cut your original headliner. Obviously something not right. Was the installed sunroof genuine or non genuine ?

geoffb57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS
I ordered the car with a sunroof just before Christmas 2015.I remeber the dealer saying if i wanted the sunroof factory fitted it would take 6-8 weeks because of the Christmas shutdown or they could get one fitted locally in a few days and it would have the same warranty as a factory fit. The
paper work that came with the car shows they had it fitted at Doyles at Artarmon on the 15/12/15 a few days before i picked it up.

Can't see any signs of the lining being cut and had no probs with it except the rattle which started about a month ago .

It looks fine but its not tight against the roof and it will move up & down a bit if you push it up in the middle.Not sure if this is normal or should it be tight against the roof.Doesn't make any noise if you move it around just a rattle sound somewhere there if you go over any bumps

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I didn't think Holden parts even sell a genuine sunroof kit. I could be wrong but I've always understood genuine sunroof = factory installed.

And to install a factory sunroof, i'd have thought there would be a different roof skin with a pressed opening, a sunroof cassette that also acts as a roof stifferer and also contains the drain tubes, a different internal roof lining, an internal roof console containing sunroof buttons, etc, etc...

The aftermarket sunroofs I've seen in comparison are either cheap imitations or very very expensive items if comparable to factory sunroof install.

Also, I can't see how an after market sunroof using some 3rd party supplied kit can be covered by a Holden factory warranty. Not that it matters too much as the after market sunnroof WILL be covered by a warranty from the specific Holden dealer that fitted the sunroof. Just don't expect some other Holden dealer to cover issues with this after market sunroof, head lining, roof noises, etc, if you're having problems far from home (which is where a factory warranty comes in handy).

So as suggested, go back to the selling dealer and get them to resolve the issue.

And while you're at the selling dealer, have them reconsider why a broken boot floor plastic bracket holding the spare wheel and jack is not a warranty repair item? If it broke, the question should be why? If the damage was due to some external impact, for example a rear ending or the driver reversed a wheel into a hole and the vehicle dropped onto a rock which impacted the wheel carrier, then i would accept that it is not a warranty claim. With such impact damage, an insurance claim is more appropriate. BUT in the absence of visible external impact damage, i'd suggest a plastic casting fault or similar may be the cause of such a broken plastic braket and as such it should be a warranty claim item.

Good luck with it all.