Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another 66 impala project

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
That last blue looks good in my opinion, but I think I have a new favourite with that red.

Just keep finding myself staring at it for minutes on end. Thats the kind of impression i'm looking for.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
After a bit of searching I am finally going to visit a few guys tomorrow who may have the rest of the Impala body parts that I need :)

And some other bits too.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I call the trip yesterday a success.

Rocked up at the first guys place who I thought only had the inner guards, rad support, and fuel tank.

And turns out he also had the Front and Rear Windscreens :) :) :)
Both front guards
Bonnet hinges
Steering wheel and column
Another dash and cluster
Rear bumper in ok to good condition, but it has the number plate holder that I don't have
Flat Boot lid
Doors and side glass- Pillared or Bel air doors, but they were gonna go to scrap so I thought I'd better pick them up
Another Brake booster
Interior door cards and trim - Stuffed, but it gives me the shape and also the metal bits that I didn't have
Door handles, window winder handles, etc
tons more chrome and stainless trim - need to go through this pile too
More tail lights, some 66 some 65
heaps more brackets, wiring loom, window winder mechs, etc
and probably more that I have forgot about.

Basically a whole other car. He bought his Impala as a parts car with the intent to actually buy the impala that I bought before I bought it to restore, how's that?

Apparently the previous owner of his started "restoring" it but hardly got anywhere then left it to rust, so he took all the parts off he could and stored it in the shed. Happy about that because the rest of the body is in no way salvageable.

Once I saw the amount of stuff there was I figured my ute wasn't gonna fit it all in, so my girlfriend actually drove out 2 hours in the Wagon to pick up the rest.

Then I went to the second guy...
Only picked up a Bonnet here, but he had lots of other parts available, 2 more sets of 66 front guards, all doors, plus more.
He also has a 1965 Impala and a 1966 Impala that he has nearly finished restoring so had a few extra parts left.

Funny thing though, this guys 66 Impala was the same Seamist green with the same colour and style interior as mine, and the first guys one was the same colour as well.
Not to mention aris, thinking maybe it was a popular colour when they brought it out.

All the parts aren't in the best condition but there are very few rust holes in anything, so that's ok. Will try to unload and find somewhere to put it all everything today.

Very happy with my stack of parts, and the price I ended up paying for it all :)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
pics or it didnt happen....

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just going out to get them now.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just finished unloading the cars. Like I said, it's all rusty, but hey, it's a start.

This was in the ute

And the wagon

My 2 favourite parts I got.

"Ghetto Cruiser"

:)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
That's a decent stack of parts you picked up.
Yes they will require some work, But a part that requires work is one step closer than not having a part at all.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Exactly.

The bonnet has a little rust on an edge but it's fixable, same goes for the guards.
And I now have doubles of a lot of other parts so it will make it easier to make one good one out of 2 bad ones.
There is also always the option of trying to find better quality panels down the track too.

Either way it is now one step closer to having the Impala complete. Only thing that I know I am still missing is the nose cone.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I needed to store these parts away from rain so I decided to "install" the front clip onto the Impala.
Just a couple of bolts with the guards and bonnet sitting there, then I stepped back to have a look at it.

I always knew this car was big, but with the front end on it is HUGE.
They honestly look way smaller in photos.

I still don't have the front bumper on but the guards are up against the wall of the garage and the rear bumper is about a foot from the roller door at best. Very little chance of this getting any garage space once it's all back together.