Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another AC Probelm - VX II

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
Late last year we had the engine mounts changed on our VX Series II Wagon. After the repair, the AC would not cool.
The fan blows OK, and changing the vents (floor to face to demist) works OK.

I spoke to the mechanic who did the mounts, and he suggested checking the plugs as he claims that nothing he did should have caused the AC to stop working.

I have checked the connector to the compressor, and changed the relay in the fuse panel in the engine bay. The system appears to be gassed (hi power hiss when I release the valve in the pipes).

When the AC button is pressed, the pipe from the compressor to the radiator is hot. But the air coming out of the vents is not cold.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

JG

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
can you hear the compressor kicking in at least?

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
does the center of the aircon fan spin when engaged (turned on)?

is the pipe from the condenser to the firewall cold up near the firewall/ low pressure switch?

do your thermo fan run when the a/c is turned on?

is this a v6 or v8?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Could be......
Refrigerant overcharge.
Condenser fan not operating (driver's side low speed radiator fan).
Condenser fins clogged with debris.
Fan belt slippage.
Radiator overheating.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
could be low on gas but just enough to kick the compressor over but not enough to cool, you may have a very slow leak.

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
Hi Guys,

I checked and the compressor does cut in when switched on and the pipe to the radiator gets hot.

I will check the other things this afternoon.

The system is definitely not over gassed as we have not had it re-gassed in the 6 years we have owned the car.
The system stopped suddenly, after the engine mounts were changed. Initially I thought that in moving the compressor out of the way to change the mounts, the mechanics had inadvertently nudged it and broken a seal or ruptured a line. But after 6 months since the mounts were changed, there still appears to be gas in the system.

Would the condensor fans or fins affect the system right from cold? The system does not cool at all now.

Cheers,

JG

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Would the condensor fans or fins affect the system right from cold?
Yes it can.
The condenser needs a constant airflow over it, to ensure proper cooling is achieved.
Blocked fins on the condenser or the fan not working properly, will reduce the efficiency of the system.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Take it to a shop and have it serviced.
Sounds like a VERY strange coincidence that it stopped working after the mechanic played with he compressor.

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
Yes, strange coincidence.

However, shop = money, and that we don't have spare at the moment (which is why I have waited so long since the mounts were changed).

Will keep looking for the fault. Unfortunately it was raining too hard yesterday to check anything.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Late last year we had the engine mounts changed on our VX Series II Wagon. After the repair, the AC would not cool.
The fan blows OK, and changing the vents (floor to face to demist) works OK.

I spoke to the mechanic who did the mounts, and he suggested checking the plugs as he claims that nothing he did should have caused the AC to stop working.

I have checked the connector to the compressor, and changed the relay in the fuse panel in the engine bay. The system appears to be gassed (hi power hiss when I release the valve in the pipes).

When the AC button is pressed, the pipe from the compressor to the radiator is hot. But the air coming out of the vents is not cold.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

JG
How long after the repair, did you notice it not working?