Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Alloytec performance-related thread

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I agree with the tune being the last thing, but I'm with Soop - don't go chopping up your standard air box, all you'll gain is an annoying hissing induction noise.

If you're going to do anything, the tried and tested path is extractors, opened up stock cats and a twin 2.25" (your 2.5" twin setup into single 2.5" will do fine) then a set of diff gears.
CPR6 manifold is 'hella crazy expensive for the gains you achieve, and so is a tune.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Hi All. Im looking for some advice on Injectors for a Standard Alloytec 190. My current Stock injectors are making some noise. Pretty much a clicking type sound. when I bought car @ 72,000 km there was no noise. Then there was a little, it sounded like 1 injector. now its sounds like there are maybe 2 or 3 injectors making noise. I ran some Injector / carby / fuel system cleaner and it reduced the noise a little. I should mention also that I have a rough idle, even with brand new plugs and have lost some power in recent months. Not much but im sure I may have lost around 10 to 20 kw. I hoped putting new plugs in would have helped but it made little to no difference. But the fuel system cleaner seemed to work great. So now I want to replace Injectors. I looking for reliability more than I am looking for more fuel flow. i think the flow of stockies will be fine for now. Im just more concerned about reliability. ill worry about higher flow when I do heavier mods and tuning.

06calais get your car to someone that can check the injector cycle and power ie tuner with a dyno they should be able to work out whats wrong before you faulk out big money for injectors

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
I agree with the tune being the last thing, but I'm with Soop - don't go chopping up your standard air box, all you'll gain is an annoying hissing induction noise.

If you're going to do anything, the tried and tested path is extractors, opened up stock cats and a twin 2.25" (your 2.5" twin setup into single 2.5" will do fine) then a set of diff gears.
CPR6 manifold is 'hella crazy expensive for the gains you achieve, and so is a tune.

A tune makes all those mods worth it though. Its also the one mod on that list that will give u the most gains.

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
Matt stoker ( or what ever ) in browns plains told me himself that the tunes for the alloytec are a waste.... He said he will gladly take my $1,000 But I will drive out of there thinking * why did I just waste my money on this? *

His exact words.

If I tune was only $500. I would do it, as its only small gains for the big price.

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
hi all, thanks for the advice, But... I dont think I worded my post as well as I could have.

I dont want to get bigger injectors than standard, I just want something more reliable and perhaps quieter. I can see how I may have been miss understood though, so sorry about that.

Im no where near ready for major mods and tunes, however a tune is starting to look almost a necesity. Anyway I was hoping that there maybe a good after market brand of injector with the same or very similar flow rates to the standard ones in there now. The reason I dont want to upgrade to higher flows is because of the very same reasons mentioned above.

Im hoping maybe that there are injectors with the same flow rates as standard injectors but perhaps ones that atomise the fuel better, a better spray pattern, and therefore possible better burning and fuel economy. Stock ones are not too expensive, so I dont mind. Or is it the case that GM - Alloytec Injectors are already at the pinnacle of Injector technology and therefore after markets (with the same flow rates) can not be made better, last longer, or cause fuel to be burnt better?

A few days ago I bought some more Fuel system cleaner that one bottle will do two 75 litre tanks. I put the whole lot into 50 litres and the noise has gone. Last time it just reduced the "clicking sound" this time the "Clicking sound is gone"

In fact even if there are no injectors available in the specs I am asking, is there any better fuel filters available than Stock or Ryco. I need a fuel filter, and Im looking at buying a Ryco from Super Cheap. Ive not ever had a car as nice as my Calais so for one, I want to buy good reliable parts, but secondly im not necessarily looking for more power (of course that's a nice bonus) just reliability and perhaps better economy, and maybe for less money than Stock Parts.

I chase thunderstorms across vast un-inhabited distances so I really want reliability and economy.

In fact the first big $$$ Ill be spending will be on bigger brakes and suspension mods, and even with suspension, im looking for toughness more than performance increases, though of course any increase in performance while seeking reliability is most welcome.

So yeah, I totally agree with the comments above re: bigger injectors etc. Those sort of things need to be added in a total package.

In fact this is prolly not the right thread for what I am asking as we are in a performance mods thread. I should find / Start a reliability durability thread.

So if you guys could just give me another chance to access your knowledge I would be most greatfull.

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
No, that's diff gears.

In this instance I'm talking about power gains which is what a tune is for, I'm lead to believe that the more mods done, the more gains you can achieve with a tune. I'm aware that torque should be what your after and i agree and that's what a taller set of gears will achieve. Ive done this to my car and definitely a good mod to do. As for the tune I'm just going off here say. reading through this site it seems that a lot of people feel they got their money's worth out of a tune.

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
paint ur ride red. red goes faster. winning!:spot on:

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
Please bare with me on this question I have, but when you install an OTRCAI obviously it has no MAF anymore. What is the result of that? i mean like how does the ECM or PCM cope with there not being a MAF anymore? Obviously its doable coz people are doing it. i was wondering on a technical level how this is worked around. I mean is it just a matter of when re-programing the ECM or PCM to make it learn to liove with out the MAF Im really trying to learn about my Alloytec. My whole life I have had only older technology so its quite a big jump for me considering I have only ever owned Cars with Carby's and the one that did have injectors was only CFI not MPFI. Any education on the matter would be most appreciated.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
the otr for the alloytec has the maf still in place, its directly in front of the throttle body. as far as im aware there is no otr available for the alloytec except on ebay, which is not exactly an otr, as it snakes around