Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another bad idle problem. Throttle position sensor.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Scooter79 said:
You referring to me or 88GreenVN? The idle problem and the code 19 happened before I even touched the Throttle body.

:bang: my bad I thought you'd said you cleaned it....I should stop trying to give tech advice half asleep...:sleeping:

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
i cleaned the whole thing with degreaser and after about 3 weeks it was almost stalling like i was running 4 cyl i got a new TPS $40 and IAC valve$85 from holden now shes running sweet i also took out the bellmouth in the inlet manifold

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Prices for TPS!!!!

I called Repco for a TPS. $105

Then called Holden spare parts - $102.50

Bloody Hell!!!!:ranting:

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
BLEH

My Vr is doing the Exact same thing Scooter79, has been donig it since i replaced my Tb with a bored out one, I have been meaning to swap the IAC sensor off the old Tb for a whlie now, I checked the codes but i didn't get any about the TPS, BTW mine did the exact same with the idles, 1500 sometimes jumping to ether 2000 or 1000 after a whlie.

If you work out what it was let me know :),

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
hmm my vr does a similar thing.. when it idles it borderline stalls.. took it to the mechanics n they reckon theres nothing wrong with it.. meh. so long as it doesnt actually stall or anything im not gonna stress.. but if u do figure out what it is lemme no. its eatin me alive!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
proto_vr said:
BLEH

My Vr is doing the Exact same thing Scooter79, has been donig it since i replaced my Tb with a bored out one, I have been meaning to swap the IAC sensor off the old Tb for a whlie now, I checked the codes but i didn't get any about the TPS, BTW mine did the exact same with the idles, 1500 sometimes jumping to ether 2000 or 1000 after a whlie.

If you work out what it was let me know :),

Well just letting you all know that it was the throttle position sensor. Replaced the sensor, put the throttle body back together and all is good again. I managed to get a new one from a local auto electrician for $73. I've read on this forum that some people got theirs from Holden for about $45 but Holden and Repco both sell them for over $100. Ring around a few auto electricians for prices :thumbsup:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
De-greaser is probably not the right thing to put on the T/B or anywhere inside the vacum holes and such, Nulon T/B /Carb cleaner removes the black cpap instantly, much better than de-greaser and it also dries very quickly, thus the need for a squirt of CRC or similar to allow the piston to move freely in the hole it lives in.

It's probably worth getting one from the wreckers, they seem to either work or not work, would be a heap cheaper too.

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
digisol said:
thus the need for a squirt of CRC or similar to allow the piston to move freely in the hole it lives in.

The Gregory's recommends lubricating the IAC pintle with a drop of (clean) engine oil...

/DP

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Actually the original post read (a small squirt of some CRC wil fix it) no doubt either will do the same job, CRC, WD40 or whatever may have been hinted at was only a guide, there are far better products available than CRC.