Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another bad idle problem. Throttle position sensor.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Hi everyone. Surprisingly after doing a search I found there's not a lot of info specifically about the TPS. Indirectly, yes, but not directly.

Anyways, the idle is bad. Started it today and was idling so low that it was almost stalling. Came back to it a few hours later and now it's idling at about 1500rpm then increases up to 2000rpm. Makes no difference when it goes into reverse or drive. I put it into reverse and the wheels nearly launched out from under the car. Not good! I did a check for codes and got "code 19" - Throttle position sensor sticking. Think I'm up for a new TPS. Anyone else had this problem?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Have you cleaned the throttle body?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
88GreenVN said:
Have you cleaned the throttle body?

No. The car only has 112,000k's on it and the TB is pretty clean

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I take it that you have had it off and it opens and closes unrestricted.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
88GreenVN said:
I take it that you have had it off and it opens and closes unrestricted.

Yeah. Checked all that. Opens and closes very smoothly. I realy believe that it's a faulty TPS and the fault code backs that up. Just wondering how common this is?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Swaped mine with the vn v8 I have and still ruf idle.... still looking for the problem

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
88GreenVN said:
Swaped mine with the vn v8 I have and still ruf idle.... still looking for the problem

Have you done a fault code check?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yes not meaning to be a smartarse here...but I have read a thread before where someone pulled their throttle body off for a clean and stuffed the sensor....what did you use to clean it with ???

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
sixshooter said:
Yes not meaning to be a smartarse here...but I have read a thread before where someone pulled their throttle body off for a clean and stuffed the sensor....what did you use to clean it with ???

You referring to me or 88GreenVN? The idle problem and the code 19 happened before I even touched the Throttle body.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
While it's NOT recomended to spray carby cleaner inside the TPS hole it can be done if carefully keeping the electrical side up, but if you or someone else has done so, it makes the hole dry and the TPS plunger will stick, (it's essentially a tiny piston with a spring behind it and as the piston moves in and out due to manifold vacum it moves to give the correct a/f ratio) a "small" squirt of some CRC wil fix it, if that's all it is.

Other than that remove the plug going to it and see what happens, it should idle at 1500 or so constant, if it does the TPS is likely kaput.

After cleaning my T/B the idle dropped but after a squirt of CRC inside the TPS hole the idle dropped another 500, now sits on 800, and about 700 in gear.