Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another dyno thread

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Without wanting to start another endless debate about numbers, I wanted to share a lesson I learnt.

Tune 1 BP98 Dyno dynamics 266.9 rwkw by tuner A

no changes

Tune 2 BP98 Mainline dyno 255.5 rwkw

From the attached pic you can see that the mainline showed 242.4rwkw and 576.2nm based on the installed tune (Tune 1)

Tune 2 The mainline shows 255.5 rwkw and 590.5nm.

So I gained heaps of low down torque (see attachment) which I wanted and a lot more high end kw and torque (which I would almost never use).

So as predicted from others, the mainline is a much more conservative dyno and the recommendation to go to Tuner 2 was well worth it.

Everything about the car seems different including the auto. Shifts are not as harsh but happen instantly with a nice exhaust note at shift time. I am over the moon.

Will.jpg

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Its obvious, Willall.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Both charts you have are wildly inaccurate, and this is without knowing anything about your car, just going on knowledge of the laws of physics and experience tuning the same engine.
Firstly I assume standard bolt-ons given the target numbers provided, and diff swap because for the one graph you posted the calculation for derived torque incorrectly assumes your diff gears were stock, not 3.46, hence giving you a blown-out torque figure (and hp) at a higher RPM.
This can be confirmed by doing a simple cross-check, if your car did make 590 Nm at 4685 RPM then the graph would show 290kW at same speed. Conversely if your car made 510 Nm @ 6110 RPM then your power would be 326kW.
To double-check check, for your engine to make 255.5kW @ 6110 RPM the torque at that speed would be 400Nm.
So although you posted figures and asked for no debate, the chart is incorrect. As have been the previous few I've seen from that stable.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Both charts you have are wildly inaccurate, and this is without knowing anything about your car, just going on knowledge of the laws of physics and experience tuning the same engine.
Firstly I assume standard bolt-ons given the target numbers provided, and diff swap because for the one graph you posted the calculation for derived torque incorrectly assumes your diff gears were stock, not 3.46, hence giving you a blown-out torque figure (and hp) at a higher RPM.
This can be confirmed by doing a simple cross-check, if your car did make 590 Nm at 4685 RPM then the graph would show 290kW at same speed. Conversely if your car made 510 Nm @ 6110 RPM then your power would be 326kW.
To double-check check, for your engine to make 255.5kW @ 6110 RPM the torque at that speed would be 400Nm.
So although you posted figures and asked for no debate, the chart is incorrect. As have been the previous few I've seen from that stable.

I think you have had too much kool-aid. First, my diff is stock 2.92. Not 3.46 as you state. Second the numbers are at the rear wheels for KW not flywheel. So your use of physics and understanding of what the dyno showed is wrong. My engine did not make 255.5 KW, it made 255.5 RWKW. Learn how to read a Mainline dyno printout before mouthing off. Funny how the people from that "stable" as you call them have a worldwide reputation for tuning, especially GTRs, Porches. Check them out https://www.facebook.com/pages/Willall-Racing-Pty-Ltd/251746834570 Dodgy stable LOL, over 6000 likes and my car is completely different to drive in everyway. My seat of the pants matches what the dyno shows.

Bob

Edit: I find it funny how your entire argument is based on me having a 3.46 diff ratio. As I said above I don't, so your entire argument is based on a false premise is wrong and in logic 101 that means you fail.

Last edited:

</3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv redline ute
Can we make a sub forum for people who get off on showing dyno figures and keep them out of a VF Forum
Every second debate is abit this. can we get something straight no one cares if it's a mainline dyno or not it's way to easy to fudge figures (eg. Loose strapping) or quote just bolt on upgrades when diff gears may have been changed or a cam for example. So to make it easier people who want to blow their load all over there dyno graph, they can go into its own category and wank for hours over there "numbers".

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Let's not argue bob, my point is the only way the figures add up is if you if you had a 3.46 diff otherwise how do you explain doing 200kph at that rpm in fourth gear?
Whether figures are taken from the wheel or flywheel the relationship between HP and torque does not change if Derived Torque is 1:1.
The figures are incorrect, misleading, as always with that mob. Nothing personal, nothing to debate. Believe what you want I couldn't give a toot!
Third cross check, at that torque rating your engine has a BMEP of ~13 bar... without FI or raised compression how do you explain that?!

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I guess I am a total idiot and you are right. But I know I am not an idiot. So goodbye and I wont be responding anymore. But I will sleep well knowing what I have despite telling me on a forum I dont have what I have. Ciao.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
I know they did some pretty awesome work with Evo X's.