Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Engine Oil thread!!

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Hey all, looking at changing oil shortly to Penrite 10 Tenths, 10W40 ( Supercharged, Cam L77).
Anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be ok or experiences with it?
Any other info appreciated also, what oil are you guys using?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like a good place to start. That 10 Tenths is a higher grade synthetic than most of the regular stuff.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My L77 is currently running Penrite Enviro+ GF-5 5w/30.

Has also run their HPR 5 5w/40 Extra Ten.

I didn't notice any difference between the two.

No experience with the 10 Tenths or 10w/40 though.

This is the Penrite Product Selector for L77.

The product info for 10 Tenths notes - "Racing 10 is recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oils were originally recommended by the manufacturer." and the application lists pre-VE Commodores.

Maybe the 10 Tenths Racing 5 5w/30 might be better suited than the 10w/40.

Alternatively give them yoou specs via their on line chat and see what they suggest.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I sent a message to the chat thing, that may be a good idea mate cheers. Repco has 40% off them today so I might just go grab both and return the one I don’t end up using?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I posted the below reply in an oil thread from June last year...…...

I have been using the Penrite Racing 10w40 in my stock LS1 for the last 3 years and about 5,000km's, and I can 100% confirm that it maintains better oil pressure when hot
I have consistent oil pressure during the dry season when the temperature is in the high teens to mid 20's, and also during the extreme heat of the wet season when the temp is in the high 30's and the humidity is hovering close to 100%
My oil pressure is over 40 psi at idle on the gauge when cold at first start up, and just under 40psi at full operating temp

For what it's worth and to use it as a comparison:
I was previously using Penrite HPR5 5w40, as this was Penrite's recommendation at the time I purchased the vehicle
During the dry season it was fine, but during the wet season the oil pressure at idle when hot used to drop down to 20 psi

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I was previously using Penrite HPR5 5w40, as this was Penrite's recommendation at the time I purchased the vehicle
I just did the oil on the Monaro, and used Penrite HPR10 10W50, as that is the preferred oil on their website.
Up till now I have been using 10W30 (various brands but not Woolworths/Coles), and after 130Km, thought the thicker oil may be better.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
with boost im running 10-40 which was way better then the 10-60 i was at before, ur better to have lower oil pressure and more flow then higher oil pressure and less flow, if ur flowing more thru the bearings ur helping to keep them cooler, main thing is film strength with oils just the thickness relates to bearing clearances and oil operating temps, i have my old bottom end out so im going to check wear on stock bearings from few years of 14psi boost see how they look

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I posted the below reply in an oil thread from June last year...….
Cheers mate, as it turns out they didn’t have both in stock only the 10W40 so I grabbed that. If it goes boom I’ll build a mean N/A setup lol

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
with boost im running 10-40 which was way better then the 10-60 i was at before, ur better to have lower oil pressure and more flow then higher oil pressure and less flow, if ur flowing more thru the bearings ur helping to keep them cooler, main thing is film strength with oils just the thickness relates to bearing clearances and oil operating temps, i have my old bottom end out so im going to check wear on stock bearings from few years of 14psi boost see how they look
Helpful info! I have the 10W40 10 Tenths now so will see how it goes.