Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another exhaust thread... Hopefully not asked!

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Hi all,

Real quick question. I have a VY V6 wagon, I had a look under car, and previous owner has chopped off the pipe about where the rear strut is and welded a 2.5 inch straight through pipe. My wife absolutely hates the sound as its her family car. I hate it also. Its drony as hell in the 70kmh mark.

I've spoken to two exhaust shops and they think the best way to quieten down the issue is to fit a rear resonator on the existing pipe. I've been quoted $150 for this from both shops.

They reckon that it will only be only slightly louder than stock. The only reason I'm considering this route is because its cheaper than just fitting a stock exhaust, ($230). I dont want to fit a rear resonator to find it is only slightly better.

Ive searched high and low for stock exhausts, and no wreckers currently have any available, as I want to do it soon before I move interstate and look forward to a 900km drive

I have searched these forums but not sure if anyone has done this? Im not really interested in sports exhausts and all that.

Id like to get this done in the next few days before we go, so your response is welcome.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
a resonator will quiet it down alot like the exhaust shops have said, but will not be as quiet as stock.

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Will it still have that horrible drone at all? What will change?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
The pitch will change, it will be a more low pitch and a bit quieter. IMO, it will still drone a little bit