Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another exhaust thread / installing 4-1 headers

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Hey guys,

I am in the market for an exhaust for my VZ ute, I am definitely going full system, don't see the point in catback's only, I am mostly trying to decide what size to get and whether or not to go stainless or mild steel.

currently tossing up between these options:
hurricane 1 3/4" headers - 3" cats - twin 2.5" catback (mild steel or stainless)
hurricane 1 7/8" headers - 3" cats - twin 3" catback (mild steel or stainless)

both will have middle hotdogs and rear muffler which is medium loud I think.

I am also tossing up whether to maybe buy a cheaper system from the wreckers and just fit it myself and save some $$ for other mods. I'm pretty sure passenger side is easy enough but driver side is more of a problem, I have read that you can fit it in from the top if you remove the rocker cover to provide a bit more clearance, has anyone done it this way before? Don't have access to a hoist so would be doing it at home.

Are there any real negatives to buying a used exhaust other than the cosmetics? Wouldn't look out of place on a 10 year old car.

cheers!

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I put my hurricane 1 7/8 on stands without a hoist. Not gonna lie it ain't easy. I personally had to do both from the bottom it was hard to get the angle I needed without the ground clearance but I did get them in eventually.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
1 7/8" headers and twin 3 inch will most definitely be loud AF if your into that... probably better off with the smaller headers and twin 2.5 inch exhaust unless your planning on doing serious engine mods in the future which is what the bigger system will be more suited to, as for mild vs stainless go the stainless if u can afford it

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Cheers guys, i'm not after ridiculously loud just want a nice V8 sound. I should probably also mention it's a L98 not an LS1.
Leaning towards the twin 3" just because it's not much more expensive than the twin 2.5" and I might regret going too small!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Would think your engine is a l76? The l98 came out in the VE although much the same anyway...I'm pretty sure ur ute will be a side by side exit exhaust with the twin system not like the VE with the exhausts coming out either side of the rear bumper, the Side by side twin 3inch systems are rather loud just in my experience, also you will loose bottom end torque on an otherwise stock engine with the bigger headers and twin 3 inch exhaust

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Would think your engine is a l76? The l98 came out in the VE although much the same anyway...I'm pretty sure ur ute will be a side by side exit exhaust with the twin system not like the VE with the exhausts coming out either side of the rear bumper, the Side by side twin 3inch systems are rather loud just in my experience, also you will loose bottom end torque on an otherwise stock engine with the bigger headers and twin 3 inch exhaust

cheers mate, it's def an L98, some 6L VZ's have the L76 then some later ones have the L98 I believe. it is a single side exhaust as you have said.
I might ask if the shop has done any recently or has any coming up I can have a listen to before I decide, I think that would help me a lot. I'm sure twin 2.5" would be more than fine performance wise, just not sure if it would sound as good as the twin 3".

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Not sure if if really compares but I had a VX ss sedan with 1 7/8" headers and twin 3 inch exhaust (side by side exit) all stainless and it was ******* loud which I didn't mind lol but I'm in NZ and our laws are a bit more relaxed

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Not sure if if really compares but I had a VX ss sedan with 1 7/8" headers and twin 3 inch exhaust (side by side exit) all stainless and it was ******* loud which I didn't mind lol but I'm in NZ and our laws are a bit more relaxed

Do you know what system that was? and did it have a cat delete (since that's legal in NZ)?
I bit the bullet today and just booked it in for the twin 3" in stainless as the price was pretty good, including fitting. I been thinking about it for a few weeks and keep coming back to the same decision.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Mine was an xforce system and yes had cat delete pipes also

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Had vy ss manual ute with 1 3/4 difilippo twin 3" cats with twin 3" x-force exhaust...also had otr & tune,sounded awsome but was loud as fcuk when up

Definitely go 1 3/4 extractors with 2.5" exhaust if auto or wanting to keeping it mostly standard....manual will be ok with bigger exhaust,auto wont sound as good.