Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another exhaust thread

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes it will fit.

Try it and see.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
OK. So I have found a GenF GTS complete Exhaust (inc.headers). Will there be any issues fitting this to a VF SS and do you think there will be audible and performance improvements in doing so? Thanks.

We are waiting with baited breath for 426Cuda to present his videotorium of sound this evening when he bolts all the bits together and has it tuned... watch this space!
Stock VF no tune essentially 2.5" catback-only will slightly improve performance my bet 2-7kW across the range, although will probably sound like you are going much faster everywhere, like a GTS!

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The stock exhaust actually sounds good at WOT but you can't drive like that all the time.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
We are waiting with baited breath for 426Cuda to present his videotorium of sound this evening when he bolts all the bits together and has it tuned... watch this space!
Stock VF no tune essentially 2.5" catback-only will slightly improve performance my bet 2-7kW across the range, although will probably sound like you are going much faster everywhere, like a GTS!

Ok for Duaned, Pir4te, Kingy P and anyone else who's interested:
My Redline now has fitted an E3 GTS headers & cats, and the 2.5" VF GTS catback, and STANDARD VF Redline AFM/Auto spec diff tail pipes/mufflers. It sounds nice, without being too loud, and there is no hint of drone at any speed in any gear. It's probably loud enough for me but I might tray a J Pipe at some point, just for comparison.
Today I picked my car from GenTech in Canberra after an engine and tranny tune. The results are pretty good, the car has a much broader torque curve, now making more torque at 3750/4000rpm than it previously did at 5000rpm. Both torque and kW have increased markedly. It's sitting somewhere around 310flkW. The push in the seat under WOT acceleration was always there, but it's now far more aggressive.
I'll hold my comments on the Gentech boys for a few more days until I really get a feel for their workmanship, (i.e no issues!), but if first impressions are anything to go by (having driven home form Canberra today), the Gentech tune is GRRREAT! Oh and the no bull customer service was good too. They told me the good, the bad and the ugly (mostly good). But they did say my OTR CAI (brand beginning with Oh?) and standard E3 HSV headers were robbing around 10-12kW, and they found it hard to keep the temps down and get any cold air into it which was affecting the tune. For me I thought my car had picked up power and torque a little with just the CAI and no other mods or a tune, but perhaps it was just the perception of more power from the induction noise? However it certainly went better with the HSV system fitted. The tune has added much, much more again. Anyway it goes hard, is easy to drive, has torque to spare, and when you give it a squirt, the smile always follows. The verdict...I'm very happy with the exhaust, headers, CAI and tune! It was good standard, but for this has brought the growling 8 alive! Total cost to date $2,100

Tried to upload a couple of very short movies form my iPhone but the files are too large. Will have to compress them I suppose or start a Youtube account? I have one inside one out of the car. Poor sound quality and camera skills, it sounds much better than the vid but you'll get the point.
I'll try again tomorrow.
P.S - Timed 0-100 today in D, around 4.8 - 5.0 +/- 0.2 would be a touch quicker using sport mode

Last edited:

Hothousevys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s pack
I ended up getting a 2.5 manta cat back in mild steel for my Ute. didnt go for stainless as most trips i drive 200km plus in one hit so that rusting exhaust is a bit less of a consideration. 1150 from local exhaust place. 2hr to install. Love it. Real quiet at cruise but nice note when overtaking, wot :p.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I ended up getting a 2.5 manta cat back in mild steel for my Ute. didnt go for stainless as most trips i drive 200km plus in one hit so that rusting exhaust is a bit less of a consideration. 1150 from local exhaust place. 2hr to install. Love it. Real quiet at cruise but nice note when overtaking, wot :p.

For future reference for anyone that wants a twin 2 1/2" Manta, I do this for $790 shipped.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Nothing wrong with that.

Strap yer phone t' bumper!!

Thanks Pir4te,

I need to try it again with the standard air box. I've been told it will improve the 0-100 over my current OTR CAI!
here's a link to a video of my cars exhaust note (when hot) from behind. Sorry about the phone getting blown over by all those high velocity exhaust gasses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwi_0G7Ygs0

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I was parked next to a VF Senator today.
Had a nice bellow on start-up, nothing like the Redline which you can hardly hear.